Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we had a little too much fun today. kicked up a big mud pit then hooked up an old car hood to drag people around behind our 98 Polaris xpress 300. After about four rides, the chain started slipping off the rear sprocket and binding next to the rear disc. I am thinking we might have possibly jerked the rear end out of alignment. Haven't been able to look at it because we really got into the mud, and it was right at dark when this happened. Maybe when I wash it off later this week it will reveal the problem, but figured maybe someone else had experienced something similar.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Bushings on swing arm worn, jack rear end off the ground, jack in the middle of machine so there is no weight on rear, see if swingarm moves side to side.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no movement in the swingarm. Took it for a ride down the road today just to road test it rather than sliding sideways in mud, and chain popped off again. Chain looks very loose to me. I did notice that it was not in what looked like a track for it on the bottom side of the swingarm, so i put it back into the track and took it for another test drive. Popped out again. I guess my next step is to pull the chain off and count links. Everything looks to be in alignment eye-balling it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree, that's why I want to get it fixed ASAP. Don't want to end up spending big bucks for something that could be fixed relatively cheap.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Chain stretched?
Chain worn?
Sprocket teeth worn?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Chain stretched?
Chain worn?
Sprocket teeth worn?
Those were my thoughts too..... the old girl is due for a set of new sprockets and chain!! Get out your wallet now or break out the check book later!! As mentioned, if not fixed now it could jump off again, wad-up on the front sprocket and crack your engine housing..... $$$

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok.... Sounds like it is indeed time to break out the wallet. Anybody know a good website with cheap prices? Maybe even a place with military discount? (active duty here) And where do I find out how many links for the chain? I don't have a manual for this thing. Google and this forum are my source for all info.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone have recommendations on sprocket sizes front and rear? I am not racing my quad, if anything it is more for mudding and hill climbing. Also need to know what I need chain wise. If I could buy a combo kit, that would be great. Any recommended websites to order from?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Googled a bit......may be hard to find sprockets.
Call polaris.......you could be surprised at parts costs

·
12,400 Posts
There's kits on ebay for $50 and up. You may need a new chain guide too. Did you check the axle carrier bearings to see if maybe they have slack allowing the sprocket to run out of alignment?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will try to find the right set on ebay. I called my local polaris dealer today and they quoted me at $200 in parts. Seems way too high to me for OEM. I didn't think about the axle bearings. I could see how that could cause it to throw the chain. I will probably replace the chain guide when I replace the sprockets. Chain guide is super easy and pretty cheap comparatively speaking. The biggest problem I am having is finding the appropriate chain. I don't know how many links I am supposed to have.......

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Found this on ebay: 1998 POLARIS XPRESS 300 GOLD O RING CHAIN AND SPROCKET SET
Has a 12-tooth front sprocket and 38-tooth rear sprocket, 520X86 GOLD SERIES O RING CHAIN.
COST: $67.95

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
19 Posts
carrier and carrier bearings

The carrier is adjustable so that the chain can be tightened. However, if the sprocket is worn out then don't try tightening the chain via the carrier adjustments. A friend did this and cracked his engine sprocket cover as others have stated will happen. This also happened to him while he was climbing a hill which caused him to fracture his ankle as well!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The sprockets really don't look worn to me. I haven't taken everything apart to look at the front sprocket up close.... The chain keeps jumping out of the guide which of course causes it to be WAY too loose. The lack of apparent wear on the sprockets and lack of broken teeth make me really lean toward bearings. The swingarm bearings had no play. I will check the axle bearings this weekend. I am assuming I should just jack the rear end up and try to wiggle the rear end back and forth? By the way, thanks for all the help here. Just got this quad, spent a pretty penny on it for my budget, so I really don't want to tear it up over something stupid. Also thinking about upgrading the clutches when I replace the starter.... Any opinions or recommendations on that as well are appreciated.

·
12,400 Posts
The first and best money you should spend is on a good service manual.
Have you ever actually adjusted the chain? It may just be too lose.
The o-ring and sprocket kit you mentioned are the correct ones if really needed.
Here is a link to the Polaris microfiche for your reference.

Browse

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Def gonna have to get a service manual that's for sure. So after checking bearings on both swingarm and rear axle they were both solid. Both sprockets seemed to be fine, no teeth with major wear, none broken. But the chain was obviously loose. So after a ton of searching these forums, I finally found out how to tighten the chain. Very helpful. Kinda hard to find when the quad is covered in mud, but I found it! lol. Will take if for a test ride tomorrow to see how she does. Thanks for the help from all involved!

·
12,400 Posts
Worn sprockets will have pointed rather than blunt teeth and the valley between teeth will be dished out some. Takes a really close look to tell. If the chain is stretched a lot, it will tend to ride up toward the top of the teeth rather than mesh up directly in the grooves of the sprocket. If you get it off the machine you can hold it up sideways and it will arc over like a rainbow.
If it was super loose you may have solved the problem at least for now.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Rocky Mtn Atv has all the info and parts you need for chains and sprockets, 86 links seems too long, my 425 uses 80.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts