Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was looking for a new atv to replace my 1986 Honda trx350. The bike I’m looking at is a 2010 Polaris 500HO with 5600km and he wants $2800 CAD. I don’t like the fact that the 4wd is automatic when set in AWD because I like doing things manually and knowing what is going on but I hear that people like it. Another thing I don’t like is that the engine intake is underneath the seat and I would rather have it near the handlebars but I guess they both have downsides. I like that it has independent rear suspension and that it’s newer but that’s either a good thing or a bad thing. I would like to know if the front dif locks and how fast it goes? I am 6.2ft tall and weigh 260lbs is this bike a good fit for me? Most people I talk to about Polaris always say bad things about them and they know people that have had a bad experience so I hope that I can be proven wrong.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
i just sold the same machine with more miles to a friend,i would not sell her to a friend if this would be a bad machine.
The 500 was maybe the best ever built.

·
Premium Member
7,418 Posts
True the 500 is prob the best ever built!! For a taller bigger guy it's a big machine so it'll work good for you. Might need some HD springs cause it's older and worn spring say. That and Polaris is known for a plush ride so the spring rate isn't up there. They are very easy to work on and mechanically simple. My only beef with the pre-2011 Sporty's is the radiator is down low. That's the only down side as I see it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just sold the same machine with more miles to a friend,i would not sell her to a friend if this would be a bad machine.
The 500 was maybe the best ever built.
True the 500 is prob the best ever built!! For a taller bigger guy it's a big machine so it'll work good for you. Might need some HD springs cause it's older and worn spring say. That and Polaris is known for a plush ride so the spring rate isn't up there. They are very easy to work on and mechanically simple. My only beef with the pre-2011 Sporty's is the radiator is down low. That's the only down side as I see it.
Does the front dif lock in awd or is that only on the higher models? Also where do I mount a winch, this one doesn’t have one?

Thanks for the responses

·
Premium Member
7,418 Posts
Front diff locks in upon 1/5 rear wheel slip. So in other words if the rears rotate 20% more then the fronts the front locks in and you have all 4 wheels locked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts