Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to have the wheels on my '13 XP powder coated black. Has anyone done this to the XP wheels specificly? I'd love to see some pics of the finished product. Thanks

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
There is an older thread here somewhere that posted pics of how he did it. But I think he just painted them though. The wheels turned out pretty good.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Go to the 3rd post on this thread to see the previous XP wheels.
http://www.polarisatvforums.com/for...yone-painted-stock-aluminum-wheels-black.html

I like the looks of the old wheels much more than our modern spoke ones.
I do my own powder coating on stuff that can fit in a household oven. My advice if you're having it done is not to go gloss black. It won't look as nice next to used tires. Tires are not ultra shiny dark black and in my opinion it looks like chit to have the wheel be so much darker and brighter.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The Scrambler comes stock with the spoked wheels in black. Personally, I don't like them in black. Of course I don't like them silver either. I think the spoked wheels look like something you would put on a spiffy Buick to impress the geriatrics crowd. :D

2014 Polaris Scrambler XP 1000 EPS White Lightning ATV : Features

:nixweiss:

·
Registered
944 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yes, you could go over the black OEM powder with red powder and re-bake them. The tricky part of doing that is getting a precise edge masked off. You also have to use high heat masking tape that is special for powder coating which withstands up to 450 degrees.

I believe it would be very difficult to get a perfect looking red ring or highlights on the existing wheel. Not worth the time invested.

Here is some motor cases I did in black chrome, candy blue, and candy red. Very intricate masking was involved in these parts.

This one shows the raw aluminum case half on the left next to the other half in black chrome.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think the matte black looks great on those rim/wheels. I may do the same with the wheels on my machine too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts