Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2017 Sportsman 1000 and a 2017 Sportsman 850 touring. We mainly trail ride 60 to 80 miles a day. First 3 days rode with a group so there were frequent stops and starts. We had no problems. Last 2 days it was the two of us. After about 3 hours of riding with no stops there is a loss of power, lost of back firing and you coast to a stop and the engine shuts off. If you wait about 3 minutes, turn the key on and let the fuel pump run it will run 5 to 20 minutes and does the same. Both machines did this 5 to 8 times. We stopped for lunch and set for about 30 minutes. We rode 20 miles back to camp with no issues. Same problems the next day. Anyone heard of this issue?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I haven't heard of this but maybe others. If both machines are doing this I'd be calling that dealer.

Probably not easy but a video might help them as proof.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
Also check your throttle cable free play. Should tell you how in manual. Cable may be stretched and bike thinks throttle is stuck open. It's a safety feature and quite common.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sportsman 1000 would have drive by wire, no cable. Dont think the 850 has this ?
I have a 2017 1000 no issues like this at all. 18 hrs only so far though

·
10,595 Posts
OP, I see that you're located in the great state of Colorado.
High altitudes,
High temps,
Hard riding,
Fuel diluted with alcohol,
Not enough heat shielding on tanks and lines,
can cause stumbling or slow hot starts, boiling gas and vapor lock issues!
All this along with often inaccurate settings of the TPS and faulty IAC valves can cause rough idle, stalling, hesitation and other running problems.

Using the best quality non-alcohol fuel you can find helps a lot along with fine tuning of/or replacement of the above mentioned sensors.
I'd be interested in what the dealership says?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts