Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just made my third payment and it has been in the shop more than on the trails. Power steering works 50% of the time and when its not working, neither is the display. Engine brake works when it wants to and the seat gets so hot you cant sit on it. Front end shakes even when sitting still and steering is loose.
Paid almost $9000.00 and Polaris has done nothing to fix the situation. When some one gets hurt they will have a law suit on their hands. My husband bought a Can - Am at the same time and hasnt had one problem.:aargh4:

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
As a Can Am owner I will say they all have their issues. Mines been pretty good but had a few minor issues covered under warranty. Some get a good one and some, like you, get a bad one. Is your dealer any good? How are the mechanics? May be worth it to drive to another dealer and see what they can do for you. The bike is only as good as the dealer and their support after the sale.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:Med:

·
Registered
20 Posts
My buddy's 550xp 2012 has lots of play also. We've notice that the new upper plain on the reps 2014 models have nuts so you can tighten it. Can you simply swap it out and use the part from the 2014???? I think the dealer wants about $130 for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealer has been more than helpful. But they are not getting any response from Polaris. They were supposedly comming out with a new part for the power steering, over 2 months ago. We still havnt seen it. They did replace the clutches for the engine brake. But I will ask about the part for 2014, to tighten up the steering.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My buddy just got the replacement part, it has large set screws top and bottom. By looking at the part it should take most of the free play out of the steering.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sounds like you got a Friday build. Sorry to hear this. Even with regional differences and the top model of 570, 9k sounds unreasonable.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My buddy just got the replacement part, it has large set screws top and bottom. By looking at the part it should take most of the free play out of the steering.
I'm not seeing set screws in any of Polaris' parts diagrams for the 2014 570 or 850 EPS bikes.....

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I'm not seeing set screws in any of Polaris' parts diagrams for the 2014 570 or 850 EPS bikes.....
I see screws on top of this part---> 2205364 on '14 that is different than the '13 version.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I see screws on top of this part---> 2205364 on '14 that is different than the '13 version.
Ok, I see a bolt and nylon nut on the lower spline coming from under the Power Steering unit but I have read here and seen on my bike that the upper spline on the Power Steering unit is where the play is. I don't see a bolt and nut up there when comparing the 12/13 to the 14 diagrams

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Ok, I see a bolt and nylon nut on the lower spline coming from under the Power Steering unit but I have read here and seen on my bike that the upper spline on the Power Steering unit is where the play is. I don't see a bolt and nut up there when comparing the 12/13 to the 14 diagrams
I've heard lower spline but haven't really followed this much as mine is still tight.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
So I guess the whole part "2205364 - Post, Steering, Lower" is the replacement? From the picture of that part it looks like the change with the bolt and nut is more of a clamp at the top instead of a set screw going through the middle of the part? I wonder how that works to ensure no play?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
They have instructions in the link below, about 5 posts down, on how to add the set screws if you want to try the cheaper way first. The guys that went that route have had good success with it.

XP EPS Steering Play - Topic

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
The new part just works as a pinch bolt, you are correct. All it does is tighten the spline around the shaft, it seems on the older part without the pinch bolt there was probably some very slight play that eventually wore out the grooves in the spline.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts