Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one will boggle everyone I'm sure. I have a 2011 850xp eps. All is well expect when I turn my key on the power steering turns immediately to the right. I try to turn it straight and it keeps fighting me. I have taken it to the dealer, they say they have no idea I need to replace the unit. No codes are popping up or lights. It almost feels like the kickback is stuck to the right. When I drive it down the road, which is extremely hard because it wants to turn right, it does become normal when I reach higher speeds. So it clearly works, but it just want to keep turning right. Help!

·
Registered
862 Posts
its probably has a potentiometer to tell it where it is in the rotation of the handle bar and its probably gone bad. could try lifting the front end up and moving the bars back and forth to see if it will start workings again, but best to just have it replaced which could mean replacing the whole eps unit.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I saw this issue on youtube a couple years back. It was on a rzr. He never came back with a fix. I would hate to have that happen to me 25 miles deep into the woods. Seems as if it is trying to find center and cant. I wonder if you disassembled the unit and hooked up the wires if it would just constantly spin to the right. If you figure it out please let us know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I will take the front end apart and begin disassembly. Very good thoughts that are all great responses. Thank you. Sometimes knowing that people care and respond can make you feel so much better! I am trying to find a used unit, call Global for some parts, or call Polaris to see what dealer has ordered a unit lately because they probably have a bad unit in the shop I can use the parts off of. It is so weird.

Does anyone think it could be the ECU?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
But it should be noted that besides your's, there's only 2-3 other EPS threads I can think of where the EPS has gone bad; and one of them I just linked ya. Its not a part that commonly fails on these bikes surprisingly enough!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Nooooooo don't take it apart. It's as simple as taking it to the dealer to have centered in the computer. You may have hit something to jar it. Chances are, have the computer reset with the right center position and all will be good.
You may need a new dealer...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The dealer tried. Keeps doing it. I am at a crossroads that I could use some opinions on.
1. Should I contact Polaris to try to have this covered? Watching the news today about a defect with GM made me think about this. This is a major safety issue that an atv can just randomly turn for no reason. You would think that if I was hurt, or killed, that I could have a major lawsuit against Polaris for this. Scary. There should be a safety device that prevents this from happening.

2. I got my hands on a bad unit that was giving a trouble code. Which part should I try to swap first! I wonder which of the pieces in the link provided above that shows the inside components is in charge of my problem.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
They won't cover bikes that are burning down inside of the warranty period due to missing heat shields and thus melting the plastics on the exhaust and creating a nice bonfire - good luck with getting them to even consider covering an EPS outside of warranty.

As for the part to start with, one of those pics in the that thread should a circular white thing with wires from it that the guy "thinks" is the part that you steer with the bars and is the "input" part of the system. Maybe start there? Think between that and swapping the board are going to be about the easiest to do.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
on the post listed here showing to unit opened up there was a name on it..Globe Motors....they must be the makers of the unit...try to contact them and see if parts are available...I looked them up and they do make electric steering assist units....it may be better to contact the maker than polaris an aftermarket buyer...they may just have the answer and fix or even parts to fix it....

Just seen online that artic cat uses the same unit for their EPS...probally a lot of the others also...

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I agree with what I read on here that Polaris does not have a good record with any type of warranty so you will be on your own as far as trying to get it fixed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I got the unit out and it has water in it. Gonna let it dry and see what happens. I'm hoping it works, I know it's a minimal chance. Here's pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Second on this site that I know of that had water get inside of it. May be worth cracking mine open to make sure the seal is good, maybe RTV it just for piece of mind.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Mine got water in it about a year and a half ago and I had to get a new one. I could not tell where the water came in at but my best guess was the top shaft seal. All of the bolt on covers seem to have a very good "O" ring seal. When I got the new one I got some of the windshield silicone (it runs real well into every nook and cranny) and put it on all the seams on the outside. I would rotate it so the seam was on top, let it cure and rotate it around again.
Globe makes a high end power steering unit and they are used on a lot of cars. I tried contacting Globe and had no luck. I just think we go in deep water and mud that a car does not go in. Mine was a 2010 and I know I got a different part number from what was originally in it, hopefully better seals.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Good to know Bob! I soaked my whole unit on the outside with Fluid Film since its water repellent, seems like it would do the same as that windshield silicone that you mentioned for the top seal. Only time and a good amount of water will tell I suppose.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Polaris owns Globe motors so good luck getting anything out of them.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
looking at the way that gasket is...i would avoid hitting it with a power washer....I would also spray it with the clear Sealz-it..stuff does work ..will water proof it to a point

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is the final update. I removed the unit and had a small amount of water in the power steering unit. I replaced with a used $550 unit and works again. Couple of notes, I had gotten my hands on a bad unit, swapped out the boards and they switched problems which means they both have bad boards. If I had new boards, which is easy to replace, I bet both units would work. I'll keep them in my shelf just in case it comes up one day or from someone on here. Thanks a lot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts