Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a new ATV. Haven't decided which brand yet but which ever I go with I am going with power steering. There has been some articles in this forum about power steering and water. I understand it is a electrical motor that drives the power steering and it seems as if people are concerned about water damaging those electrical motors. Is this really a concern? You guys/gals with power steering have you had troubles?

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
I have installed the Super ATV power steering kit and have had no issues. The electrical and mechanical components are all sealed. I supposed there is a risk that seal can/will get broken; if that happens the unit will likely fail.
I just write that off to the nature of the "beast" and enjoy what I have. When it breaks, I'll fix it.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
There was an issue with the EPS relay corroding. It has since been updated but a little di electric grease is always your friend

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
No problems with water on mine. The unit is sealed, the relay can be a problem if you submerge it. Just seal it or grease it, you will be fine.

The best option is to simply avoid the water. The manual says no deeper that the floor boards. Now we all know that will never happen in most cases, cause we all get a little crazy once and a while. If you are going to visit the deep on a regular basis, then it is best to modify it and seal it first.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not sure what di electric grease is but I am sure I can find out. I enjoy playing in the water and mud. I guess that's what drives my question more than anything. Some of you have the skills to repair a broken ps unit but I don't. Are all the ps units on different brands similar. What do you think does one brand have an advantage over the others?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
di electric grease is a non conductive grease that can be used on electrical components without the risk of shorts. It is used to protect the components and connections from corrosion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts