Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if it is legal to ride atvs/snowmobiles on power lines and natural gas lines? I live in NY and a guy keeps threatening to call the cops on me, my dad said it was legal but he's only one opinion.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
some pipeline an power line land is leased ...not owned by the utility companies....I have run into the same problem before....i waited for the cops to come..and was told the land was private and leased....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
some pipeline an power line land is leased ...not owned by the utility companies....I have run into the same problem before....i waited for the cops to come..and was told the land was private and leased....
Would they give me a ticket for it? Also I doubt they would like the fact that I am 14 years old.. I ride in a creek too that goes behind the police shooting range. I am pretty sure that it would be owned by a property owner but I think for some reason it has something to do with the towns water or something. Is this creek legal?

·
Premium Member
10,589 Posts
bud its like this, in new york there are no legal riding areas on public land. if u have permission by a land owner to ride his land then your good. so the bottom line is if ur riding public lands ur breaking the law and if ur riding private land with out permission ur breaking the law. now ur up-state and i know a lot of guys run the power lines and hit the state parks and other such state lands and u probably not going to run into any issues but there is the potential to get urself in trouble. so i would suggest u avoid the dude that said he is going to call the authorities on u. he probably hasnt yet because he knows ur young. but he has warned u and its only a matter of time until his patients wares out. its going to take some time to find good areas to ride at so be patient and respectful and ride those ares until ur told other wise.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm not sure if it is legal in your state or not but I would like to see the video of you riding the powerlines, that would be impressive. The gasline might be too especially if it went boom........:)

·
Registered
314 Posts
bud its like this, in new york there are no legal riding areas on public land. if u have permission by a land owner to ride his land then your good. so the bottom line is if ur riding public lands ur breaking the law and if ur riding private land with out permission ur breaking the law. now ur up-state and i know a lot of guys run the power lines and hit the state parks and other such state lands and u probably not going to run into any issues but there is the potential to get urself in trouble. so i would suggest u avoid the dude that said he is going to call the authorities on u. he probably hasnt yet because he knows ur young. but he has warned u and its only a matter of time until his patients wares out. its going to take some time to find good areas to ride at so be patient and respectful and ride those ares until ur told other wise.
all joking aside this sounds like good advice

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
That type of property in SC is legally owned by pesonal land owners. Although utility companies have the right to inspect at any time. One of the major pipelines cracked exposing oil to my friends property and the utility company had to settle for the damage done to his property. My friend the land owner did not go after or threaten the utility company by any means. The utility company straight up offered them a settlement.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm sorry to say it's not legal, most land that utilities run through are leased by the company that maintains it. It also gives the utility company permission to be there, but not the general public. The land is owned by every day people, and it is a lot of farm land. There are a lot of snowmobile trails that are run along power lines, but sleds have a lot more rights than atv's do in NY. Best place to ride in NY is Lewis County hands down, I've put 2300 miles on my X2 in the past 2 years

·
Registered
163 Posts
The only riding where i live is mostly dirt roads, power lines and gas pipe lines. There has been this one guy who told me that the powerlines are his property but after about 2 seconds of listening to him i just kept on going as the guy was flipping me off.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
The only riding where i live is mostly dirt roads, power lines and gas pipe lines. There has been this one guy who told me that the powerlines are his property but after about 2 seconds of listening to him i just kept on going as the guy was flipping me off.
The power lines probably WERE his property. You're lucky he didn't call the cops and have you arrested. You just cant ride on land without permission. As already stated, utilities Lease property to run their power lines or gas lines,and they have permission to be on the land, But YOU don't, and the owner has every law on his side concerning you trespassing, and also people like you who trespass, give all of us a bad name, so think about what you are doing before you do it, or at least ask for permission

·
Registered
388 Posts
Remember...it's only illegal if you get caught...lol
we ride the power lines, gas line and RR tracks by us. but you just have to tread lightly and stick to the trails. also if anyone tells you not to ride there you should respect them. If they are in fact the owner or can speak on the owners behalf

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
we ride the power lines, gas line and RR tracks by us. but you just have to tread lightly and stick to the trails. also if anyone tells you not to ride there you should respect them. If they are in fact the owner or can speak on the owners behalf
Nope....sorry to tell you this but it illegal anytime, and if someone tells you to not ride there, don't ride there. You have no idea if it's the owner or someone speaking for the owner, so if someone approaches you and says leave, then leave. More than likely you are riding on land without the owners permission anyway, and that makes us all look bad. Also you write that you ride the railroad tracks and powerlines and gas lines then say you have to tread lightly and stick to the trails...What trails?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Nope....sorry to tell you this but it illegal anytime, and if someone tells you to not ride there, don't ride there. You have no idea if it's the owner or someone speaking for the owner, so if someone approaches you and says leave, then leave. More than likely you are riding on land without the owners permission anyway, and that makes us all look bad. Also you write that you ride the railroad tracks and powerlines and gas lines then say you have to tread lightly and stick to the trails...What trails?
Ok ...relax pal..the gas and power lines where I live have trails on them and the sides of the RR beds have gravel roads, so....not sure how it is by you and i'm pretty sure you do not know what it is like here. As far a us breaking the law I also ride with several local and state cops on these very same trails...not like we are blazing through peoples back yards and knocking over tree's

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Ok ...relax pal..the gas and power lines where I live have trails on them and the sides of the RR beds have gravel roads, so....not sure how it is by you and i'm pretty sure you do not know what it is like here. As far a us breaking the law I also ride with several local and state cops on these very same trails...not like we are blazing through peoples back yards and knocking over tree's
Oh buddy I'm relaxed, but what you are doing is still illegal if you don't have the land owners permission. Those trails you talk about have been made by other people like you who have been riding without permission, and I don't care if you're riding with The President of the USA it still doesn't make it legal, and maybe you aren't blazing through someones yard but you are still blazing through someones land. It's all ok though, but when you get arrested, try using the excuse that you're riding with Barney Fife and see how far that gets you. Good Luck

·
Registered
388 Posts
That's a good one....I am 45 and started riding at age 3 on a cat mini bike.....many many dirt bikes, atc's and quads later and I have never been arrested for trespassing...hell I was probably riding when you where at some jamboree talking about how dangerous atv's are..I understand your points just relax...have you ever been riding on someone's else's property without permission? Have you ever gone over the speed limit? If yes your making us all look bad...I have nothing else to add...have a good day and happy riding

·
Registered
575 Posts
Riding the gravel road along the railway in any state is considered trespassing and is a Federal offense, just letting you know lol

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
That's a good one....I am 45 and started riding at age 3 on a cat mini bike.....many many dirt bikes, atc's and quads later and I have never been arrested for trespassing...hell I was probably riding when you where at some jamboree talking about how dangerous atv's are..I understand your points just relax...have you ever been riding on someone's else's property without permission? Have you ever gone over the speed limit? If yes your making us all look bad...I have nothing else to add...have a good day and happy riding
Your 45....hell your still wet behind the ears. I'm 62, and to answer your question about trespassing on an atv...no I haven't, and that makes us look good not bad. I guess you sport quad guys just do whatever you want. Good riding to you also

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
We ride some of the powerline corridor here, but it's FS land so not a problem. The land is too steep and rocky in a lot of it. In winter its a good area to blast around on sleds as there is so much timbered land open play areas are hard to find.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts