Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an '11 Griz 700 that hasn't been started in a year due to a dead batt. I'm about to put a new one in and crank her up.

Should I do anything to the engine to prep it for running after sitting for so long? I'm thinking in terms of pre-oiling parts that the oil would have long fallen away from. Would it be a stupid idea to use a turkey baster and put some engine oil into the spark plug hole? Crank it a couple times, replace the plug and then try to start it?

I'm afraid of rubbing metal parts together during the start before the oil pump gets everything lubed.

·
10,595 Posts
It won't hurt anything to squirt a little oil in the cylinder but not really necessary.
I'd be much more worried about draining, cleaning and flushing the rotten gas and varnish out of the fuel system than about oil "falling away" from a sealed up and totally enclosed engine.

·
Registered
168 Posts
As long as it pulls over smoothly, it is ok to start.
I just got our Sportsman 500 running after sitting 5 yrs.
I did not add oil through the spark plug hole.
It is running just fine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. The gas doesn't have any ethanol in it and was fresh as of a year ago. I didn't think there were any problems with letting non-ethanol gas sit for a bit. Should I drain the fuel system and clean it out somehow?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Older non ethanol gas, it may start ok anyway.
I think I would drain it out and replace if not too hard for you.
There is a bowl drain on the carb.

You can still use year old gas, even mix it into a full tank on the car, I have done that before without any problems.

·
10,595 Posts
Older non ethanol gas, it may start ok anyway.
I think I would drain it out and replace if not too hard for you.
There is a bowl drain on the carb.

You can still use year old gas, even mix it into a full tank on the car, I have done that before without any problems.
It doesn't have a carb bowl.
OP, if you had it full of non-alcohol fuel and only sat a year its probably all ok. Put in a new battery and away you go.
You're original question was about pre-lubing the cylinder walls. I doubt that ANY of this is really necessary but if you want to cover all the bases:

Check the air filter and exhaust for mice nests/blockage.
Check the clutch cover and air ducts also for mice nests.
Pour about a teaspoon of 2-stroke oil in the cylinder.
Put in a new plug while you have the old one out.
Drain/replace the fuel.
Change or check motor oil and all the other fluids.
Check wiring for rodent damage.

Or...just put a battery in it and away you go. :grin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts