Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a predator 500 runs great but plastics are rough and it shows signs of being ridden. (Only paid $330 for it for I can't complain). Found a so called project on Craigslist today for a predator 500, took the drive down and he said it was knocking in the bottom end. I heard it a little at his house but it was running fine and knocked for a couple seconds. I paid 600 because it is extremely clean and wors case I swap motors and have a nice one. But he said there were metal shavings in the oil. I had it running and idleing fine no knocking. Even drove fine. I'm going to do an oil change and see what happens. Any idea of what could be the problem?

·
Registered
521 Posts
It can be many things, so if you rev it? It knocks? Which side case?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been riding it how it is. It only happens when I start it cold for like 3 seconds them goes away. It's in the top end to not bottom end. I'm not really worried about it lol.

·
Registered
521 Posts
okay now that you say that i can almost guarantee its the timing chain slappin around....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Plus predators STOCK arent exactly the most quiet motor on the planet either. When i first bought my 04 I thought the valves needed adjusted still i had a few friends with Preddy's and they all sounded the same. they all have somewhat of a chatter sound in the motor.

·
Registered
50 Posts
ImageUploadedByOff-Road Forums1397521874.113734.jpg
After picking up my '03, the first thing I did is replace timing chain and guides and tensioner. She purrs, no worries!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts