Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have cleaned carb reset to factory setings it idles but bogs down and backfires when accelerated it doesnt seem to make any difference on where you set the air screw at. has anyone had this problem

thanks Nathan

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Did you take the carb apart when you cleaned it to make sure the jets are cleaned good? You can check the fitting between the carb and air filter also to see if it is loose.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Try changing the air filter, I have seen this happen twice and both times it was a dirty filter, I have also seen similar problem and it was because the carb was jetted wrong. The 500 needs an air filter so simply taking your old filter off and running it without one will not solve the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did disassemble the carb and cleaned the jets.the air filter is clean.i did a few other checks on it and the compression is low 48psi the book said it should be 85-90 psi so it looks like i am gonna rebuild the top end

·
Registered
46 Posts
you reset the carb to stock setting but what are you running for air filter? box still closed? whenever mine would bog and backfire it was always a loose boot fitting somewhere but I also upsized my pilot jet first. If the a/f screw doesnt make any difference you should probably go up on the pilot. I ran a 47.5 when I had my mikuni carb.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You state that the air filter is clean, but you did not say if it was new or simply washed and re installed, I have seen a "clean" air filter be clogged after it was washed. I am not a mechanic so don't take me as an authority on this but take the air filter off and recheck you compression. It will cost you nothing to try and just might save you a bunch of money if it's just a clogged (used but clean)air filter.

·
Registered
483 Posts
check the valve lash if its too tight it will lose compression and run bad and check cam for wear while your in there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
04 predator 500 carburator problems

i have an 04 predator 500 with a pure polaris exhaust and its been having problems, the airbox got too full with oil and the carb sucked it in so i cleanded the carb and it bogged on low throttle, i re-adjusted the carb and it ran better but not perfect, after taking the carb apart for the third time and putting it back together it ran perfect for about 5 minutes of riding then it just suddenly died and never started. is there any suggestions for me?

·
Registered
13 Posts
check you air screw at the bottom of the carb i should be 1 and half turns out, and its sounds like its getting to much fuel make sure the jets is clean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts