Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been reading a lot about the predators with no spark... no real answer to my problem though...

here's the situation.. i went riding, came home, replaced my handlebars and installed an led taillight.... wired it to not run all the time, but to kick on with headlights and brake lights only..

went to start it back up and nothing... ive already checked the grounds up front and behind.. continuity between ignition switch/on-off, etc in handlebars running back to cdi box area, all good... (also no spark)

so here's where i'm at.. i can't figure out which wire/s should be getting voltage in/out of the cdi while trying to crank. i downloaded a service manual but am lost to what the white/blue single wire going to the coil is supposed to be outputting... i'm getting nothing out of that.....

at this point i'm leaning toward stator but don't really know how to test that specifically...

so, atv cranks, no spark, i also cut the black wire at the cdi, no voltage out on white/blue to coil, (i removed all plastics for testing), grounds test good, no broken wires..

any help is greatly appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
6 Posts
this happened to my predator. What happened with me is I went riding turned it off then rode it around revving the shit outta it then when i went to the quad later to go home I tryed turning it over and nothing happened. Got home the terminal on the battery was melted off. bought a new battery and no spark. Brought it to the guy I bought it from since he knows how to test the electrical system and he said it was just a bad cdi so i bought a new one and it worked perfectly no problems since. im not saying to just buy a new cdi but you should have someone who knows how to test it look at it for a hour or 2 and it should be fairly easy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you mess with the throttle cable when swapping bars? It is likely something you did changing out the bars. ETC out of adjustment now?
etc is fine.. didnt mess with it, problem is no spark, no voltage out of white/blue wire going into ignition coil.. need to know what wire cdi is getting voltage from... service manual states direct from battery but i cant see that

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Hard to believe you took the handle bars off, swapped them and the CDI died. Astronomical chances of that. Double check everything you did with the bar swap. Reroute the throttle cable? that can effect the ETC and you don't know it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Likely you fried your cdi these motors dont want too be revved out crazily... Or you could have sheard your keyway

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hard to believe you took the handle bars off, swapped them and the CDI died. Astronomical chances of that. Double check everything you did with the bar swap. Reroute the throttle cable? that can effect the ETC and you don't know it.
pulled the etc cap off, nothing going on in there... wires coming out of it test fine continuity wise back midway through frame... still searching for what voltage needs to be going INTO the cdi through which wire to verify that its not an issue BEFORE the cdi itself

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok... got home tonight looked through the schematic once more... the difference was the back tail light... i cut the plug off and ran a new led to run only with the headlights and brake instead of the red/white constant... 2 red/white go into the rear connector/harness and one comes out... they loop at the harness making the circuit.. i stripped and connected the red white together and THEN got 12 volts to the red wire at the ignition.. bike starts now!! thanks for the replys!

·
Registered
5 Posts
check your ETC

electronic throttle control i have a 06 preddy had no spark fixed it last night didnt know about it either if you throttle cable is loose it will ground out you cdi its a saftey polaris did to check pop the top of your thumb throttle off and you will see a spring with two wires if they touch your bike wont have spark

·
Registered
1 Posts
check your ETC

electronic throttle control i have a 06 preddy had no spark fixed it last night didnt know about it either if you throttle cable is loose it will ground out you cdi its a saftey polaris did to check pop the top of your thumb throttle off and you will see a spring with two wires if they touch your bike wont have spark

hey new to the page I have an 06 preddy lost spark over night I have power going from CdI box to coil but it’s not getting Relayed to the spark plug replace coil plug wire and plug didn’t help maybe youguys can

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
How did you measure power from CDI to coil? It is typically a 100v to 200v peak voltage pulse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok... got home tonight looked through the schematic once more... the difference was the back tail light... i cut the plug off and ran a new led to run only with the headlights and brake instead of the red/white constant... 2 red/white go into the rear connector/harness and one comes out... they loop at the harness making the circuit.. i stripped and connected the red white together and THEN got 12 volts to the red wire at the ignition.. bike starts now!! thanks for the replys!
I have a 03 predator 500 and when I bought it didn't have no spark.i so far have changed cdi,stator, rectifier, coil,key switch, start button on off switch, starter,battery, spark plug.and still have no spark.can someone please help

·
Registered
3 Posts
check your ETC

I don't have any spark on my 03 predator and it had a twist throttle when I bought it. It also had no spark when I bought it. I have changed the cdi,coil,stator, rectifier, pulse coil, solenoid, starter,start button, key switch and battery all brand new and still no spark. Can anyone help please

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
I love it when someone with a new problem hijacks an old thread looking for an answer for their unique problem.

The predator can lose spark by two methods; remove 12 v from the red wire at the CDI box or short the black wire to ground. The thumb throttle had black and brown wires attached to it - check those wires - if someone tied the wires together there is your loss of spark. Next, remove the black wire from the CDI unit and make sure there is 12v on the red wire - if it starts with the black wire removed, find where the black wire is connected to ground (brown wire is ground)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts