Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Predator 500 WONT START!! PLEASE HELP!!

I bought a 2003 Polaris Predator 500. I listened to it run from a cold start, I test drove it up the road and it seemed perfect. I loaded it up and brought it home took it up the road a few times and it was running fine, I pulled it out of the garage the next day to go for our first trail ride. On the way to the trails I reached top speed as soon as I heard rev limiter I let off the throttle and it back fired and died. Would not start back up for nothing. I got it home and unplugged the all the electrical connections and plugged them back in and it fired right up and sounded good. This morning I went out and it started then died and now all it wants to do it crank over and then the battery dies. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like mine. I bet the guy you got it from had the battery charged fully. You rode it and it was fine. You took it out on a ride when you got home and rode for a while and it was fine, then as the battery started dieing, it backfired and quit. This is similar to mine. The problem with mine is that the guy I got mine from had his son jump it, and he hooked up the cables backwards and fried the fusible links that run from the battery to the rectifier and to the starter. I reconnected one of the wires that was completely fried and broken and it ran for a while until the wires came apart again. It backfired and died. I manually charged the battery again, and it ran fine again until the battery died. All I need to do in order to fix my problem is replace the fusible link kit so the charging system will work properly again (aka the battery can get power to charge from the rectifier again) and i'll be good to go. Sounds like your charging system isn't working properly. Check the rectifier, the stator, and the wiring connecting it all together, I bet you find your problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like mine. I bet the guy you got it from had the battery charged fully. You rode it and it was fine. You took it out on a ride when you got home and rode for a while and it was fine, then as the battery started dieing, it backfired and quit. This is similar to mine. The problem with mine is that the guy I got mine from had his son jump it, and he hooked up the cables backwards and fried the fusible links that run from the battery to the rectifier and to the starter. I reconnected one of the wires that was completely fried and broken and it ran for a while until the wires came apart again. It backfired and died. I manually charged the battery again, and it ran fine again until the battery died. All I need to do in order to fix my problem is replace the fusible link kit so the charging system will work properly again (aka the battery can get power to charge from the rectifier again) and i'll be good to go. Sounds like your charging system isn't working properly. Check the rectifier, the stator, and the wiring connecting it all together, I bet you find your problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
check for spark by pulling the plug and crank it over and check your ETC its your electronic throttle control it when loose will ground your coil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts