Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Predator 500 tire size change help!!

Ok for the winter i found these really cheap 22x10-9 or 22x10-8 tires.. Is there a way to put them on my predator or something? or get them to fit? (i have no idea about changing the size of the tire) thanks. also if i were to change the tires i would need new wheels? to fit them right? what size front and rears? i found maxxis 4 snow but only see rears no fronts.. confused? help!! also if i need new rims or anything?

could i use like 2 22x10-9 tires and then 2 22x10-8 tires? i have no idea how to do this... as i said before what would i need to do it? if anyone can help thanks

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
What are the numbers on the side of your tires now?

Can't go between the 9 and the 8's because they fit on different wheel sizes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
20x11-9 rear

21x7-10 front

I wouldnt mind getting different wheels to fit those tires if thats what i have to do but if theres another way that'd be cool

if i get new wheels what size would the wheels have to be to fit the tires if that even works?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
You sound like you are really new, so lets brake some things down so you know what you are doing.

A tire size of 20X11-9 means that the tire should be about 20 inches tall, the 11 is a ratio of the width of the tire to the height, and the 9 means it mounts onto a 9 inch wheel. We have some play in the first two numbers, but the thrid number, the wheel size can not change unless you get wheels to match.

So without getting new wheels, the 22x10-8 is out of the picture. You should be able the mount the 22x10-9 on the rear though, without needing new wheels.

If you want to get new wheels, we have to start looking at bolt patterns and offsets. Its up to you if you want to do that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i would be willing to get front wheels if i can keep the rear wheels do you know anywhere i can buy cheap wheels? that would fit the fronts? And what else would i need for the rears with bolt patterns.. (and yes im really new and have no idea about the tire change) i only know basic modifications like the exhaust nerfbars and easy stuff :)

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
I really want you to understand this, and not just do what we say you should.

Do you understand what the numbers on the tires mean?

I had to look back at your other posts, and I saw on a different one, you said your pred is an '05. Is that correct? Thats what I am going with right now.

A quick google search shows me your stock sizes were:

Front:

Tire 21x7-10 Wheel 10x5, 4/156

Rear:

Tire 20x11-10 Wheel 10x8, 4/110

So what do the wheel numbers mean?

How to read the wheel size
How to read the offset

Basically though, it comes down to this. I would not recommend putting a either tire up front. They are too wide. It will make steering more difficult. If you wanted to put the 9" tire on the front, you would need to get a new wheel, something along the lines of a 9x8 3+5 4/156 wheel would probably work. That 3 cant be any bigger then the number 3 though. A 2 would be better, but I dont think you will find an offset like that. Otherwise, you would have to get an offset that is a 3+ and add a 1" spacer to clear the shock.

But in all honest, its pointless. Putting snow tires on the front of a predator will not help you, since the pred is not 4x4. If you ever notice a set of sand tires for a sport quad, the back tires have paddles, but the front tires are completely bald except for one lip down the center of the tire.

Snow tires on the front of your pred, will not help you any more then old bald, worn out tires up front will. You should be able to throw the 22x10-9 snow tires on your existing rear wheels, and it should fit with no issues. And that is exactly all that I would do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ok thanks i will look forward to that.. would it be worst if the tires in the front aren't worn? (i actually dont have worn tires but sure i can get them real cheap)

thanks for the help i understand it much more now... and the stock size on my rears are 20x11-9

1 - 8 of 8 Posts