Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been riding on and off road since 1977. Not been on an atv since 1995, however I've turned 100k miles on two wheels in the past 11 years. That being said I am looking at getting back in some recreational trail riding. I have come across an 04' TLD Predator, and an 06' Dale Jr. Predator. My question is this; is there a big difference between the two as far as engineering? As well the 04' is about $300 more expensive, I believe 1 owner and quite a bit cleaner than the 06'. My next question is this, would you buy older and cleaner for a little more, or buy newer cheaper with out as much piece of mind in regard to history?
Thanks for the input.
JCIII

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
521 Posts
o4 is just as good as the newer 03 is the main different one that had no reverse in it other then that look at the shocks see which one has better {resi/non resi} ease of start if its not easy too start it definetly has not been taken care of, make sure it dont have an aftermarket cdi, lookover frame rails for cracks and or rust, i like too check make sure balljoints are good and tie rod ends as well as wheel bearings and axle bearings............ other then that have a blast there super fun!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
What he said^^^^ And also keep in mind that they are very high maintenance machines that require frequent valve adjustments and oil changes. They don't take a lot of time once you have done it a few times, but require some supplies as they are a shim under bucket design. Look them over closely and get as much background info on them as possible. Buy the one that has had the best maintenance and upkeep with the lowest mileage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts