Polaris ATV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
great write up . just spent 150 on a bat for my 05 700 SPM as both my quads have cig lighter plugs would one of the solar chargers for a car work . there are little ones 0.7 amps as my quads are not near power??

·
Registered
10 Posts
great write up . just spent 150 on a bat for my 05 700 SPM as both my quads have cig lighter plugs would one of the solar chargers for a car work . there are little ones 0.7 amps as my quads are not near power??
Solar chargers don't typically have circuitry to regulated voltage, they just keep sending juice when the sun is shining AND drain power at night. Low end solar charges are basically a gimmick. If you don't have access to AC power for a tender I would suggest removing the battery and storing it where it can be attached to a tender. This should be in a well ventilated area because even "sealed" batteries off-gas while charging.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Solar chargers don't typically have circuitry to regulated voltage, they just keep sending juice when the sun is shining AND drain power at night. Low end solar charges are basically a gimmick. If you don't have access to AC power for a tender I would suggest removing the battery and storing it where it can be attached to a tender. This should be in a well ventilated area because even "sealed" batteries off-gas while charging.
You are correct in that they don't have the required circuitry to regulate voltage and would continiously charge the battery. They are OK to charge a battery when it has been drained but you need to remove it when the battery reaches its full charge. What you can do though is get a panel big enough to power a converter that you could plug your battery tender into. That would be great for a remote campsite but I don't think I would want to be hauling one of those around with me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
a 500Ma xformer & a 12v bulb in line is way cheaper....
_______12v Bulb___________ ++
Any 110V Ac > 12v transformer to battery
_________________________ --

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quick question (probably simple as i just bought my first bike)... I have a cig outlet on the pod, could I plug the tender into that to charge the battery or would that possibly cause other problems?

I have no qualms hard wiring it in but I do like to take the easy route from time to time.

This is a 98 Sportsman 500 if it matters.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Should work great IF your cig outlet is hot with the ignition turned off. Also, make sure you get the polarity (+-) correct when connecting the male cig adaptor to your charger.

·
Registered
484 Posts
is there a big difference in these battery tenders? im looking to get one but there seems to be a rather large price range seems like a 20$ one might be "too good to be true"

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
is there a big difference in these battery tenders? im looking to get one but there seems to be a rather large price range seems like a 20$ one might be "too good to be true"
yes and no...the more expensive ones are going to have things like reverse polarity protection built in, the more expensive ones also usually can give the battery pulses of high volts to try to break the sulfate off of the plates inside giving the battery new life and a longer life.

So basically, the cheap ones usually will just charge a battery up and hold it there, and the more expensive ones can read the condition the battery is in, and change the amount of volts it gives it in an effort to extend the life of the battery.

·
Registered
484 Posts
what one would you recomend bang for buck kinda thing?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Great write up! Thanks for the effort.

For anyone reading this looking for ideas...I too run a battery tender jr, got it for under $25. I attached the short cable that came with it permanantly to the battery and coiled it up under the seat with zip ties so when I am not riding I just pop off the seat and plug it in. In the winter, I keep the alligator type clamps that came with it on my lawnmower battery that has been removed and placed near where I park the PoPo, and every other week I switch the plug via the quick connects. It takes seconds and keeps both my batteries charged with almost no effort.

Battery Tender Junior 12V @ 0.75A - Motorcycle - Batterytender.com

·
Registered
139 Posts
Awesome post Blueline, it was news to me! I'm getting on amazon right now.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Has anyone hooked several batteries in parallel...... to see if a maintainer ( better quality higher 4 amp) unit will maintain multiple batteries at once?

41 - 60 of 176 Posts