Polaris ATV Forum banner

121 - 140 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Typically the positive is fused. A lot of times in vehicle circuits, the battery will run to the chassis and most negative sides of ancillary circuits will just ground to the chassis.

·
Registered
307 Posts
That's what it was. Works great now. The Odyssey battery is so much bigger than the stock one. I can't use the spacer or the stock battery mount. I really like it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
battery tender

So here's probably a dumb question but, if I killed my battery today, can I hook it up to a battery tender to charge it back up while I try to figure out what is wrong with my charging system on my quad? OR should I charge the battery up via an actual battery charger?
Most battery tenders are designed to keep a fully charged battery at fully charged levels.They don't work like a battery charger.Charge it up then put a tender on it.By the way we bought a couple of Harbor Freight B.T.As they have them on sale for about 5-6$ every so often.Was alittle cautious as Chinese crap reputation.Well they've worked so well we now have 14 of them with no issues.Work very well.Had them 2 years.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi!

What do you think of WPS Brand battery for ATV?

Im looking to get a new battery as well as battery tender. Where can I get those at?

·
Registered
222 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have had the same Battery Tender Plus forever. Also have a couple Battery Tender Jr.'s. I keep one on my 800 as well as all of my Harley's and riding tractor. They have never let me down yet, everything I use them on starts every time!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Battery maintenance

New to this forum. I just wanted to share a successful experience I had with my 2004.5 sportsman 500 (50yr ann). I just bought this quad last month, and I just love it. I had a 0.1 amp draw on my battery when everything was shut off. I searched for the draw and couldn't figure it out. I then proceeded by buying a battery kill switch. I drilled 2 holes on the bottom of the sealed tool box under the seat and mounted the kill switch through one hole and the wires through the other hole. Put silicome in the holes to maintain a sealed compartment. This kill switch works amazing and it's also a theif protection as I leave the bike often in the woods when I go hunting. It cured the battery drainage and maintains my battery charged when resting. However, when connecting the wires to / from the kill switch, I noticed the negative wire wasn't well connceted on the frame. once I had everything done, I notice I did not have anymore draw even when kill switch was on. So, if you have a small draw on your battery, make sure you check the wires before investing money on parts that are working fine. I also use a battery tender, quick connect, and keeps my battery up to par when quad sitting in unheated garage.

·
Registered
231 Posts
New to this forum. I just wanted to share a successful experience I had with my 2004.5 sportsman 500 (50yr ann). I just bought this quad last month, and I just love it. I had a 0.1 amp draw on my battery when everything was shut off. I searched for the draw and couldn't figure it out. I then proceeded by buying a battery kill switch. I drilled 2 holes on the bottom of the sealed tool box under the seat and mounted the kill switch through one hole and the wires through the other hole. Put silicome in the holes to maintain a sealed compartment. This kill switch works amazing and it's also a theif protection as I leave the bike often in the woods when I go hunting. It cured the battery drainage and maintains my battery charged when resting. However, when connecting the wires to / from the kill switch, I noticed the negative wire wasn't well connceted on the frame. once I had everything done, I notice I did not have anymore draw even when kill switch was on. So, if you have a small draw on your battery, make sure you check the wires before investing money on parts that are working fine. I also use a battery tender, quick connect, and keeps my battery up to par when quad sitting in unheated garage.

I'd really like to see some pictures of your handy work. It sounds like you've come up with a great solution for storage.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
So here's probably a dumb question but, if I killed my battery today, can I hook it up to a battery tender to charge it back up while I try to figure out what is wrong with my charging system on my quad? OR should I charge the battery up via an actual battery charger?
Most battery tenders are designed to keep a fully charged battery at fully charged levels.They don't work like a battery charger.Charge it up then put a tender on it.By the way we bought a couple of Harbor Freight B.T.As they have them on sale for about 5-6$ every so often.Was alittle cautious as Chinese crap reputation.Well they've worked so well we now have 14 of them with no issues.Work very well.Had them 2 years.
Keep an eye on your batteries with those Harbor Freight units! I bought a couple for use on mine and my moms lawn mower batteries. They work....but are overcharging the batteries. Moms battery was over 16 1/2 volts and mine was 15.4 volts. The "Battery Tender" brand I use on my ATV and Harley never gets above 13.4 volts.
The instructions for the HF units states its only suppose to go to 13.2 DCV. Then 'float' the battery. But both of them are letting it keep charging way past that voltage. I'm not going to throw them out, but I'm not going to trust them to 'float' or 'tend' my batteries anymore.

·
Registered
51 Posts
But if u do ride ur machine for 20 min every week u should be fine? Not to be a cheapskate but is that a reasonable alternative? Im new to this stuff. Also very informative nice job

·
Registered
10 Posts
Battery kill switch

Hi Turkwest
If you go to the link below, you should get to my album and there's 2 pics of the kill switch. I was getting tired of always unscrewing the cables off the battery when working on bike, or when checking for draw, etc. Now with the turn of a switch it kills all power going to my battery. And, when bike is in my garrage, a quick connect to my battery tender, and battery maintains it's charge, which is perfect for me as I don't drive that often and it's very cold in winters here.

Also, I often go to a camp that you can only get with ATVs. It's approx 25 km from main road. Now, when far in the middle of the woods, I don't need to worry that my battery might go dead, I just turn my kill switch. I can remove the key from kill switch to ensure no one can steel my bike.

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/members/34455-albums1080.html

·
Registered
75 Posts
Didn't read the whole thread, but I did see the post about an automatic battery charger does not replace a tender. I kind of figured that. I looked around town today (small town) and no one had one. I know of one of the stores in town that carries them but they aren't open mondays.

Here's my question, and I think I already know the answer but will ask.

Is a battery charger/maintainer going to work. My thoughts is no but would like input.

Thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
There was a post a few pages back about a tender jacking up the ECU on an XP.

Anyone else have any info on this? Can one be used on an XP or not?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Mine has always been on a tender (xp 09) no problems, still on oem
battery too. I have 7 tenders running in my garage. It's a big garage.

I plan to replace the battery before hunting. Peace of mind thing after 5 years.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
I've never seen any evidence a tender could jack up a ECU under normal conditions and use.

I wouldn't be concerned with it at all

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
I could only imagine an issue with a bike that has been started or even the key turned on while the tender is connected..
I'm still thinking it would be a long shot, but it could cause a problem from possible over voltage.

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts
Good to know. I had just read an earlier poster in this thread say that his ECU had to be reflashed twice for 4x4 issues and his dealer told him that it was from running a tender without removal of the cable.

121 - 140 of 176 Posts