Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
i am going on a hunting trip this fall which will require me to cross several streams. Ihave a 2007 Sportsman 6x6 and i am looking for any information or tips on how to avoid problems with water in the engin or gear housing ect, one person informed me to put grease under the pull start hndel to keep water out,which I would not have thought of. So ant tips of this sort would be helpful.
Thanks and I hope you have a great day.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I would also use dielectric grease on all electrical connections. pull clutches off and seal behind the clutch cover were it mounts to engine and trans. be familiar were your cvt intake and outlet are while crossing deep water.

·
Registered
333 Posts
^^^ Yep.. dielectric grease on connections, but most important, spark plug boot!! Load it up!! Then, check belt housing and air box.. After time, plastics warp and gaskets leak.. I'm not a big fan of silicone to seal stuff..But I'm not a big mudder either!! I have replaced or just flipped my gaskets to create a good seal w/ good results..(I don't get deeper than about top of the rims, maybe 3/4's lol)

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I am not really a submariner either but I do get pretty deep on a couple of water crossings around here. Check out the 2 minute mark on this video: (or I guess it is the preview image that youtube is showing as well)

Probably deeper than you will need to go. Both my wife and I cross that with no problems and all I've done to the machines are dielectric grease on the electrical connections and around the seal on the airbox. I have siliconed around my clutch cover, but only because I had the engine out this spring. I have not done so to hers.

Even if you do get a bit of water into the clutch (which I've done once or twice) just pull the plug on the clutch cover once your out of the water and rev the engine for a minute to dry it out.

But definitely, like swampdonkey said, know where your breathers are. If you end up over your airbox breather, turn it off right away. I had to replace a motor this spring because I was stupid.

PS. that was prior to the video. Perhaps I am still stupid. LOL

·
Registered
153 Posts
Buy a snorkel kit. They are good insurance to have when you cross a stream and find that one low spot, next thing you know you are up to your bikes racks in water praying you don't suck any in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts