Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
OK ,but with EPI'S kit it comes with a new helix and spring. And they DON'T like to give out any info. They make a special kit for "mudder's" with bigger tires. Anything else would just be a guess as to what you'd need. For mine they just have a smaller set-up because my quad is"to small to really get into better kits" according to them. Read that as 'not rich enough to pay for a bigger ,badder kit" because I don't own a newer,more expensive quad.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
any idea what the thread is for the clutch puller for the primary, i can make it just need to know the thread

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I think I heard something about 3/4 fine on here before. Not positive.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
cant you just take out the center bolt that holds on the primary it just needs the puller to actually remove it???? if so the puller would be the same as the bolt you took out so therefore i can find out the the thread size by checking it then get a piece of all thread and weld a nut on the end then you have a really long threaded bolt with 4 bucks in it

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
No, the puller threads into the clutch it self. the center bolt that holds the clutch threads into the crankshaft. I just went back and verified the size on another post. 3/4 fine. also on another post guys are adding EPI'S red spring to get better drive and lock-up with stock machines(stiffer than the stock red spring!) When you add larger tires you got to do multipule changes to both clutches. Springs,weights,helix, sometimes even tougher drive belts!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
well i didn't know if i could do half now and the other half later but at this pint i just want it operating , this learning experience is great and all and its building my confidence but i wanna be able to ride and upgrade on my time not because i have to cause my bike is down,also i have been told the pure polaris belt is one of the best on the market and also one of the strongest and that their was no need to upgrade,so your saying i need a piece of 3/4 fine thread to make a clutch puller

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Go find a 3/4 fine bolt about 6" long for a puller. You could just fix what is wrong right now and fly. As you said a good confidence builder for working on your own machine. Plus it will be cheaper in the long run. What the hay, big fun yakking anyway!!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
yea i can do that, im not sure lowes or home depot carries that size but i bet there are a few places that do, and yea tires may be a month or 2 away, when you go that big you have to dig deep in the pockets,so i think im just gonna fix it for now and do more later, any ideas on how to make that compression tool

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I can't do pic's or drawings. So just a description here. A long piece of all thread, two nuts on the end (Jamb nuts),large flat washer,go up threw outside of clutch, the u shaped piece that'll hit the roller carrier, a large washer, and another nut. Crank it down,remove c clip, and loosen the nut, releasing your carrier. make sure the all thread is plenty long so you have room to release the spring pressure. Make sence?????

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ok well i have an idea but not sure it will work or not. My plan is to take a 3 foot piece of 3/4" fine all thread and cut it to 2 feet. Then weld a nut on one end then i have 2 fairly thick L shaped brackets used for building from homedepot that im going to overlap and drill a hole through so that the allthread fits through it then i have a 1" washer to lay on first to spread out the pressure evenly and a 3/4" to lay on that to apply pressure to it directly with the second 3/4" nut to move freely. All you do is put the welded nut in a vise and tighten down the top nut to press the spring then release the pressure and vice versa. But the reason i planned it this way is that it wont matter how long a clutch puller is cause when it pops off you stop so a clutch puller is 3/4" fine thread so when not used as a compression tool due to the nut welded on the end ill have a 2' long clutch puller therefore maximizing my tool to a 2 in 1

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
That's a neat idea, but I don't think the 3/4 threads go all the way through. You'd have to look see. If it does you may be on a neat new tool!!! Let me know.(I'll need to make one for my tool box also!!!) Good luck buddy!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
In all reality would it matter if it was or not cause it will thread in till it pushes the primary off wont it??? In otherwords how would an 8 inch bolt be any better it will be threaded as well and all the way at the end or all the way up just as all thread is only way it sbould make a difference is if you have to screw it in more or not. Just asking cause i dont know how taking an 8 in piece and weldimg a nut to that is any different

·
Registered
900 Posts
This is what I made to get my secondary clutch apart.My piece seems wider than yours needs to be , so measure how wide you need. Disregard the two nuts together on top,I just had an extra one and left it on there.
I also made a primary clutch puller from a 3/4 fine threaded rod about 9" long. It doesn't go in all the way before it pops the clutch off.
Good luck

Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
so it will not matter if i make a clutch puller like you did that is threaded all the way up for my 09 550 xp as long as it is 3/4" fine thread with a 16 thread count????, cause i already have a 3 foot piece of all thread i bought today to make this with

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Kev, I like your pullers! My only question is what holds the bottom nut on the compressor? A vice? One more big washer would hold it if your outside working with it. I love making my own special tools!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well i have my tool made already this morning. I took a 3 foot piece of 3/4" fine 16 thread all thread and cut a foot off i welded a 3/4" nut to one end of the one foot piece and there i have my clutch puller and i welded a 3/4" nut on one end of the 2 foot piece then took my 2 L brackets used for building houses and welded them together and then drilled a 3/4" hole in them for the all thread to go through then i have a 1" washer and 3/4" washer to lay over it to distribute pressure evenly with another 3/4" nut free to crank down on it with. Although i made both tools with this i believe i could use the compression tool as the clutch puller having an all in one tool because of how i designed it. Ill post pics soon and by the way if they both work i have 25 bucks in a 130+ shipping worth of tools and you cant even get a clutch puller for 25

·
Registered
900 Posts
Kev, I like your pullers! My only question is what holds the bottom nut on the compressor? A vice? One more big washer would hold it if your outside working with it. I love making my own special tools!
Hey Reno

Yes.....your right. The bottom nut was held by a vice and yes , you could use another large washer on the bottom and compress the clutch assembly spring if working outside.

Monster

great job , sounds like your tools should work just fine !

PS.... Use an impact gun on the primary clutch puller you made if you can, it's much easier to remove the clutch.

Kevin

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Hey Reno

Yes.....your right. The bottom nut was held by a vice and yes , you could use another large washer on the bottom and compress the clutch assembly spring if working outside.

Monster

great job , sounds like your tools should work just fine !

PS.... Use an impact gun on the primary clutch puller you made if you can, it's much easier to remove the clutch.

Kevin
well i used my compression tool tonight for the first time and it is working like a champ the only problem is the damn snap ring tool i bought earlier is shit never buy the brand name one from autozone it is the biggest pos i have ever seen its not even a tool its a toooooool, tomm at work ill get some snap ring pliers and take it off and see what we have inside the secondary and i will pull the primary tomm as well, also thanks kevin for the encouragement and did i make my clutch puller right and is it ok to use on my bike i just dont wanna mess anything up it is 3/4" fine all thread 16 count and threaded all the way up to a nut welded on the end, i ask because i have heard talk of having to have a non threaded smaller piece to push the clutch out and i dont wanna take an impact to it and mess something up cause i used all thread and bent something internally

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Put another nut on and then grind a point on the end to hit the crank. After it's done take your time and roll the extra nut off slowly to clean the threads on the end . Your center bolt goes into the crank for the clutch.

·
Registered
900 Posts
You should be fine with your puller. I made mine about 9" long and it didn't screw in all the way before it popped the clutch off. If your puller is not long enough , you may have to use a small extension to be able to reach the crank shaft before the your puller bottoms out.
Like Reno says , it's nice if the end is a little pointed to fit snugly on the center of the crank shaft, but not absolutely necessary.

Kevin

21 - 40 of 76 Posts