Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I noticed what it seemed to be my belt slipping when at a certain rpm but then stop after it would get out of that certain rpm range so i went out and bought a new belt and installed it i noticed the old one had a few cracks in it before replacing the belt cover i started up the bike and revved it a bit and noticed when you give it gas the primary clutch would run smooth at first but as it moved in it would to start to shake side to side im thinking that it might be the bushing in the primary clutch but i am not sure before i go screwing around with it anyone know what else is could be ? Its a 2005 polaris sportsman 500h.o .

Thanks,Jake

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright thanks alot for the quick reply, how hard is it to change the bushings in the clutch ? Does anyone know of a how to video or have a diagram ?
Thanks, Jake

·
13,764 Posts
Bad or missing buttons and slop in the weights will make it rattle at idle. I'd get a rebuild kit if you think the clutch is salvageable. I'd look closely at the base of the sheaves with a bright light for cracks that will form if it has been rattling and shaking for long. You might be money and aggravation ahead to try and find a good used clutch if you don't already have the special tools needed to rebuild your old one.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Cheaper to buy a new clutch than the tools to rebuild one. Worth it if you do a lot of them like me. Last I looked the bearing and a rebuild kit alone will run about $250. I charge $80 for labor to do one. $100 more gets a new one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts