Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering like the manual states,will I be able to hear a rush of air when I release the clamp on the vent line while the engine is running??.Also would if I dont hear the rush of air from the vent line,is there another way of verifying that its primed?
Thankyou, Russ

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have never heard the rush of air they sway to listen for. I just check the oil level shortly after and verify it is correct. if the level stays very high it did not prime and go in the engine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
gr8twyte,
Ok thankyou.Owners manual has lost credibility with me.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I hear the air every time.

Mark

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mark,
You can hear it over the engine running??Im new at this and i want to make sure .
Thanks

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I can hear the 'rush' of air but

only with engine off. Just pinch it for 10-20 secs, shut off engine, release clamp and you'll hear a small, somewhat faint 'pfffft' of air, its not much really. I don't really believe in cleaning that screen out EVERY oil change. Mine came out clean as a whistle at 50 hours, so i'll skip they next time around. I think the magnetic oil drain plug should catch all the nasty metal stuff, along with the oil filter. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is the silly part. I just changed all the fluids on my 2012 sportsman 500 for the first time. The manual should state to turn the engine off to hear the "rush" of air. I tried it with the engine on the first time, you cannot hear anything.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Just a 'pffft'

Yeah same here. So i turned engine back on w/clamp on hose, Immediately saw the piece of hose between clamp and oil tank start to bulge, so i immediately took the clamp off and knew oil was primed and pumping! Whew! I'm not too crazy about that procedure so gonna skip a couple times. :cowboy:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More Great input!
Learning alot here on this awesome wonderful website.

Thanyou all you Riders and have a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts