Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 sportsman 500; recently installed new drive belt. Now it will not come out of gear without shutting the thing off. I have the idling turned down as low as possible. However, it seems there is too much pressure on the transmission in idle to let it come out of gear easily. Any other suggestions as to fixing this problem? Does the gear selector need adjustment?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
527 Posts
What belt did you install? It could be the wrong belt or the one way bearing in the clutch could be getting bad or possible other primary clutch problems. Most likely the belt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed the polaris belt for that model (EBS)...it's the one for engine braking. There's no deflection as called for. The clutch is putting enough pressure on the belt to slightly turn it. Even when idling, the bike will move ahead slowly on level surface. Weak clutch spring?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Your belt should be a 3211069. If that is the belt you installed then you may be having problems with your one way bearing on the drive clutch. If you have the old belt I would install it to see if it does the same thing. If not then I would measure the belts to see if there the same length. When you changed the belt did you blow out the belt dust from the clutch? Belt dust can build up under the clutch weights causing them to stay engaged [maybe this is your problem].

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There was nothing left of the belt...it went to bits on a trip. Had to get towed home.

I blew out the belt dust...not sure if I did a good job blowing it out around the inner parts of the clutch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Used the bike tonight...changing gears was a bit easier but still pressure there. May correct itself after the new belt gets worn a bit??!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Did you see any belt remnants wedged anywhere?

·
Registered
527 Posts
I would pull the clutch off the machine and blow it out real good and like SLIDER said check to make sure there are no thin strands of belt any where. Having belt shavings in the clutch will cause premature failure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts