Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey kids, here is a novel solution.
I was working on a 6x6 Magnum that was left idle for a year or two and now the belt would not slip at idle. Messed with driven clutch spacers, driven clutch alignment, polished surfaces of both clutches, lubed drive clutch. Still, I finally figured out, the gap between sheaves on the drive clutch was too small for the new belt. Found the old belt, still the same!

Well, the entire clutch compartment was paced solid with mouse house when I started on this project - life on the farm! I had cleaned all this out.

I removed the drive clutch top plate and coil spring and was pulling/pushing the moving sheave in and out, and noticed that when it bottomed out on the pull, it had a sort of soft 'clang' at the limit. I went looking to see how the limit was determined.

There are three curved arms (that do NOT want to be removed) and at full travel - idle- they bottom out on bolts hidden underneath them.

Well, the problem was 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick layer of felt packed between the bolts and the lever arms - compressed fur and mouse house that was never going to compress any further!

I scraped this out with a screwdriver and compressed air, and we are back on the road! Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Good to hear you found the problem. Do the weights move freely or are they sticking too? Rollers spin free and no flat spots on them? If the weights are stuck on the bolts they are likely worn. Are they centered on the rollers and not rubbing the side of the spider assembly and towers?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lever arms are stiff to move, maybe corrosion on the pivot shafts? It takes a little effort to slide the sheave back and forth with the spring removed.
I tried to remove one of the arms, but the allen key wasn't going to unscrew the pivot shaft after I removed the locknut. Is there a trick to that?
Should I re-lube the pivot of the lever arms? Graphite, silicon, PB Blaster?
The bike has 1000 miles on it, all on the farm and not abusive at all - not tearing up the sand dunes or serious racing, just roaming around in Low.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
No lube on the primary at all. You could use some penetrating lube to get the bolts out and cleaned up. But make sure you use some brake cleaner to flush it all away before you put it back together. With that low of miles I bet just riding out around a while we'll help loosen stuff up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts