Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 xplorer 400 4x4. I have a problem with it staying in gear. I have replaced both rod shift linkage's. I have adjusted them. It stays in low gear with no problem. Once it gets warm it will pop out of gear. I dont know what else to try. I thought about replacing the gear selctor assembly but dont know.

This has been a nightmare. I bought it thinking it was a 2001 turns out it was a 1999. Bought it for my girl to ride with me. I just want to get it to stay in gear lol

any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
the linkage in the gear selector switch does wear out and is not rebuildable. If you disconnect the linkages and use a pair of pliers does the tranny stay in gear? Is it the same for both low and high?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no its only in high gear. I will try to plyers this weekend. if it stills pops out does that mean I need a new transmission'

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Probably the shifting fork or the dog inside tranny are worn , can replace parts but have to get tranny out of machine and split open to see whats worn,I would replace silent chain while your in there too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts