Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - it's my first post here. New to the forum and new to quads in general.

I recently bought a '96 Sportsman 335 with on demand AWD. The engine starts and runs great. That's the good news! :veryhappy: The bad news is that there's something funky going on in the drive train. The best way to describe it is that it feels like something is binding and there's a little wobble or up-and-down feeling. I could almost describe it as driving in 4WD-Lo in my Jeep while turning on pavement.

I put it up on blocks and got the wheels going. While in 2WD, the front wheels were not spinning. I'd rev the engine up and really get the back wheels going and then, all of the sudden, the front wheels would engage without the AWD button being depressed. When I depress the AWD button, all wheels will turn.

I've tried to do a little reading on this and I think the front differential is engaged with electro-magnets. I do notice that the driveshaft going to the front diff is always spinning when the rear wheels spin.

The wheels don't seem to be bent, nor do the axle shafts.

Can anyone point me towards anything else I should be looking at? I'd really like to fix this myself rather than to have to take it to a shop.

Also, can someone explain the "Override" button to me? I've read a little bit about it and it looks like it's only supposed to be used if you're in AWD but want 2WD while going in reverse? But on this machine, even in 2WD, I need to press the Override button otherwise it's "jerky" going in reverse. My guess is that this behavior has something to do with what I'm running into that's described above.

THANKS in advance for any help/advice that you can give me!!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok bud i should have the answers for u since my 99 Sportsman 335 had same issues. Over ride button issue... when u go in reverse power is limited and causes engine to cut in and out at low rpm kinda like a govoner when u push and hold button it then allows full power when in reverse so the issue you are noticing is normal. Also if you are in 4wd when you go in reverse the 4wd shuts off unless you hold over ride. Now for 4wd issue... the front driveshaft going to front diff will always spin even in 2wd drive. Your 4wd is turned on and off through the front hubs. So in 2wd your front driveshaft and front wheel shafts will always spin but your front tires should not spin. when you turn 4wd on magnets in front hubs energize causing hubs to lock and front tires to spin. Now if your are in 2wd and you give it good bit of power and front tires start to spin it is caused by bad hub fluid causing hubs to lock when not energized. To correct you will need to change front hub fluid. Go to your local Polaris dealer and get the hub fluid. Get a repair manual and it will help you with many issues with your quad and explain proper way to change hub fluid. Hope this is helpful and if you need any more help hit me up be more then happy to help.

PS remember this if you are using quad at speeds manly under 20mph use lo gear will help extend life of clutches and atv will bne much more snappy exspecially if you are bombing aroud the woods.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to change the fluid today. I will let you know how it works out.

Also, I appreciate the advice on Lo-gear. I will be doing that!

THANKS for the help!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed the fluid in the front diff and both front hubs. I went to the (somewhat) local Polaris dealer and got the brand name stuff. I'm guessing that the front diff was somewhat low based on what came out. I can't really guess on the right ("passenger side") hub but I got about a tablespoon out of it so I'm guessing it was low. On the left ("drivers side") hub, there was maybe a teaspoon that came out so it was basically dry. I set the fill holes at "3 o'clock" and squeezed the fluid in until it started dripping out.

So, after all that, I'm still getting "wobbling" as I'm driving. When I first fired it back up, it was pulling HARD to the left. I engaged/disengaged the AWD switch and went Fwd/Rev a couple of times and that seem to fix the pull, but as I said, I'm still getting some of the same wobble/hopping behavior as before.

A couple of things:
1) should I run the hub fluid for a bit and then change it again? One thing that I should have mentioned above is that there was very little on the magnetic plug.

2) Is it possible that there is a break in the wire the energizes the magnets? How would I check that? The wire that runs down to the hub is zip-tied to the strut and there looks to be a lot of wear in the insulation, but I don't think it's broken through.

3) Is it possible that maybe something is bent in the drivetrain? I don't think there is, but what's the best way to check? Should I run an indicator on the hub with the wheel removed? Is there a good way to check for a bent wheel?

THANKS again for your help!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts