Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I bought a 2008 Sportsman 500 H.O. back in 2010. I have had little issues with it since I left for college later that year. Some electrical issues with the winch, bent rim, blown tires,missing plastic retainers. The winch has been replaced since with a Harbor Freight special. Now when ever I get the chance to take it out it will run and move but after a while when its under load or climbing a hill the power just falls out and it bogs down and backfires like crazy. Which when your out in the boonies and there is nothing flat, can be annoying in the least.

I pulled apart the carb once and clean it out with carb cleaner and a fine wire brush, that seamed to help, but not entirely. Unfortunately the choke now is stuck and thats adding to my issue. When I worked on the carb I pulled the choke cable completely out because I couldn't get it to come off.

My question, whats the best way to loosen up the choke cable, and if that doesn't work what do I try next to get it running right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that too, So I put a K&N in it. It didn't bog down until about 4 hours in to a ride but by that time we were already pretty far from camp and that was a long ride back. May have gotten into to much dust I suppose.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I was initaily thinking dirty air filter and carb.... but after the air filter replacement and it ran fine for a while, I started thinking hot gas. Is your tank reflector foil still intact?

On another thought.... Have you ever had the vavles adjusted? This could be causing some power loss too.....?? :dunno:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was initaily thinking dirty air filter and carb.... but after the air filter replacement and it ran fine for a while, I started thinking hot gas. Is your tank reflector foil still intact?

On another thought.... Have you ever had the vavles adjusted? This could be causing some power loss too.....?? :dunno:
I dont Know and no I haven't had them adjusted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the deal with hot gas? If it's not the problem now couldn't hurt to be preemptive

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Also check the fuel pump. If its a carb machine it most likely has a vacuum operated fuel pump under the left front fender. Even an electric pump could cause the same problem. I had a similar issue with my 325. Ran great until the fuel level dropped below half a tank. Then no power, popped and sputtered. Fuel pump is located just an inch or so above the fuel shut off so when the tank was full, the weight of the fuel in the tank was enough to provide sufficient fuel flow. After the tank was down to 1/2 or less it started to act up. New fuel pump fixed it. Kit for repair was only about 10 bucks less than a new pump.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I did check out the quad and found that there was something like a grease/dirt clot in the air intake tube to the airbox. I cleaned it out and soaked it and the prefilter in degreaser and hot water. Cleaned and oiled the K&N filter, and sprayed the inside of the tube to the carb with carb cleaner and wiped it out.

It ran great out on some hill climbs last weekend but I still nee to check out the internals of the carb, carb kit in hand. Also the heat shield, on the gas tank, is splitting at about the centerline of the valve cover. any good replacements for that?

Still have to figure out why there was grease and dirt in the intake, that's a weird "accident".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts