Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Honda fourwheelers guy and went out on a limb and bout my fiancee a 2005 Polaris Sportmans 400. So far im not very impressed but I think it may be lack of maintnaince from prev owner. I am already rebuilding the front diff. and it feels like it shifts into 2nd and takes off then it will go up and hit rev limiter and not shift and top out around like 25 mph? Im thinkin it may be the belt or belts (not sure first polaris)? Looking for suggestions on what it may be and now its sounds like the belt is coming aparts and hitting the plastic cover. Quad only has 700 or 800 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
they do have issues with the new style front differential. you may just want to take off the belt cover and clean the front clutch with air or even a garden hose to get the sediment out. It should work fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks will give it a shot, yea I mean it runs all day and idle's like a champ but all this started happening @ one time and I bought a new foreman 500 in 05 and put 3000 miles on it and just changed the fluids and and chain and some brakes and it ran like a champ until I sold it and got the EFI version but hopefully I wont have any more troube out of the polaris

·
Registered
203 Posts
dont idle motor to long puts flat spots on the belt

·
Registered
126 Posts
dont idle motor to long puts flat spots on the belt
Idleing the motor in neutral or park is fine.... just don't idle very long in gear.
When the quad is in N or Park the belt spins freely.... the belt does not turn when in gear and thats why you can wear a flat spot on your belt.

Like said before throw that belt out and put a new one on.

When you are in there ( before installing your new belt) clean both clutches well with soapy water then dry and scotch brite all four clutch surfaces, then install new belt and you should be good to go.
Also make sure if you sustain ( for periods of time) slower that 12 mph then you should be in low range.... better to rev the engine a little than ruin another belt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts