Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was able to get quite a bit done on my quad this weekend. So far, four new wheel bearings, four new axles, new brake pads, lower ball joints, a new speedo hall effect sensor, new grips, re-covered seat, replaced the 12v socket with a USB port that also has a voltage meter, added a 2" hitch receiver, replaced the winch relay and rewound with new rope. 50' is too long for the winch...? Might go to steel cable. I like it better for the durability.
I still need to diagnose and repair the tranny high gear shifting issue and replace the rear caliper. Other than these mostly maintenance issues and a few cosmetics the machine runs excellent. I've rarely had an off road machine run so well. It runs like it's efi and not a carb.
Now I'm trying to figure out what I want to do about a rack storage box and my chainsaw. The Plano sportsman box might be good enough for me. I ordered the chainsaw boot and mount, but some of the reviews talked about how bulky it was. If it shows up and it's too big, I'm going to do something else. I carry a Stihl 16" ms180c.
I'll get to the trans at some point, but for now I don't want the down time. I've been using it around the yard too much. Low gear is enough for that and trail clearing on the back of my property.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Are you hoping to carry saw tools and the saw? Or just the saw? What about your PPE? (personal protection equipment)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you hoping to carry saw tools and the saw? Or just the saw? What about your PPE? (personal protection equipment)
I'm not going miles out right now so just the saw and a maybe a small can of fuel and bar oil. I love my new Stihl. You don't even need tools to adjust the chain anymore. I ordered the Plano 108 qt Sportsman case. The inner dimensions look like it will fit the bill.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is how the hitch came out. $26 all in... I used a Reese bumper hitch receiver for a truck. I had to cut about 1" from each side and drill two holes. Works like a champ. The factory hitch supports it nicely the way I installed it also. Mounting it above the hitch vs below keeps your ground clearance high.
I needed the dropped hitch for a couple of small trailers I use around the yard.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I love the plano storage box on mine. TONS of room. Hauls everything i need for a cold wet day of hunting, food tools, emergency stuff and my pack fully loaded. I made my own saw mount. The sandwich type. Basically uhmw or nylon type plastics so the saw/bar/chain wont get damaged. Slide the bar down and gravity holds it steady. Only way it will fall out is if i roll the whole machine. I haul my 20” bar 032ave stihl or my 16” bar ms170 and works great. The ones ive seen like this have clamp too, but i have found it to be unneeded on mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love the plano storage box on mine. TONS of room. Hauls everything i need for a cold wet day of hunting, food tools, emergency stuff and my pack fully loaded. I made my own saw mount. The sandwich type. Basically uhmw or nylon type plastics so the saw/bar/chain wont get damaged. Slide the bar down and gravity holds it steady. Only way it will fall out is if i roll the whole machine. I haul my 20” bar 032ave stihl or my 16” bar ms170 and works great. The ones ive seen like this have clamp too, but i have found it to be unneeded on mine.
Nice. I went with the Plano box and it will do the trick just fine. I like your saw mount. I'll probably do something like that too. I didn't want to hold it by the bar, but I see it's a popular way of doing it so I'll probably just do it. I bought the Kolpin sawboot, but it's just too bulky for my liking so I returned it.

Did you recover the seat yourself or buy one? I need to redo both of mine.
I recovered mine. It's a little bit of a PITA, but not too bad. I had to replace the foam on mine too. If you're foam is ok or can be repaired it's only ~$40 for a cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good looking ATV..
Thanks. I'm pretty happy with how it's coming out. The base machine, although ridden hard, had what I wanted for options and I knew I wasn't going to have more than $2k into it when all was said and done. The motor had just been rebuilt and he put new tires on it already. That worked for me. Now I'll know everything about it including what to do if something breaks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts