Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to replace the u-joints in my '03 Sportsman 600's front prop shaft. So, I soaked the front and rear splines with penetrating oil for a few days, then set about to remove the roll pin from the front yoke.....yeah, that ain't happenin'! I've spent countless hours, and an entire can of penetrant......I've bludgeoned several pin-punches until they are un-recognizable, and virtually worn out a hefty ball-pein hammer. I guess my question is, "how much abuse can the front differential take?". I'm loath to use heat for fear of damaging the seal, bearing, etc.....but all that pounding can't be good either. Drilling out a roll pin is difficult on the bench, using the drill press - I can't imagine doing it on the bike! My instincts tell me to reach for a bigger hammer and pound away, but surely the front diff can't survive?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just did mine. Put a block of wood under the shaft for support and I beat the snot out of it till roll pin came out.

Have you tried to hit from otherside of roll pin?

sent on tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just did mine. Took a good bit of force with the right size punch and mini slegde. Once it gets flush use a bit smaller diameter punch and it goes much smoother.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just did mine on my 400 a few weeks ago. That roll pin is a MF er to get out. The right size punch and a big hammer finally did it. I was about to give up too and just decided I'd just beat it into submission if I had to. I did not use the pin when I put it back together though. I bought a grade 8 bolt with a lock nut and used that for reassembly. It'll be easier to take apart next time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback! By all accounts, that front diff can indeed take a lot of pounding! The roll pin in question is actually sticking out on both sides of the yoke, so I've been concentrating on one end only, to keep the other end unblemished - then, if I can get it to move, I'll reverse direction and the bugger should come out. I guess my next move is to take my 4 LB. fist-maul, and swing it until something gives! I've searched the corners of the internet, thinking there must be a specialized press or something, but it doesn't seem to exist. I'd build one, but I'm afraid I'm neither a machinist, nor a welder. For any of you who are, however.......might be something worth building and patenting..... I'd buy it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having read other user's posts on this thread about pounding out that stubborn roll pin, I went back at it with the attitude known in these parts as "come or bust" - good or bad, something WILL move! With a very long punch (an outboard motor driveshaft, to be exact) placed against the protruding end of the pin, I was able to swing a sledge hammer out in the open where I could really do some damage. Luckily, the pin finally moved, and the front differential didn't explode into shrapnel. After the initial movement, the pin came out pretty easily. Getting the prop shaft out through the frame however, is like a Mensa puzzle.... that twin is alot of engine jammed into a tight space....not much wiggle room there! Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Good to hear you got it ! Yeah, once that pin moves a millimeter it starts to slide pretty easily.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
We beat one all day with a hammer...no luck. Five mins with a sledge, and it came out.

Sean

·
Registered
14 Posts
So what's the trick to getting the prop shaft out. I finally got the pin out. Had to take the front diff lose and slide it forward to get the front of the prop shaft off. Used a pry bar to slide the shaft forward but then I run into the water pump. This is on an 05 800. Please help. Btw a trick to gettin the roll pin out, duct tape a socket onto the turning end of a c-clamp and small bolt onto the other and you can use it like a mini press to press the pin out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure about the 800, but the water pump is the big obstacle on the 600 too, so my method might work for you. The 600 has a front motor mount with a rubber damper, bolted with a single bolt down through the frame. I loosened the 9/16" nut on the bottom, and spun it out to the end of the threads. Then, with a wooden block and a floor jack, I jacked the engine up - you only get a small amount of movement, but it did the trick for me. The front end of the shaft has to swing outward, more toward the left front wheel. Then, with a combination of rotating the shaft in tiny increments, while lifting and manipulating the front of it at the same time, you'll hit on the right sequence to clear the water pump. After that, swing the back of the shaft out over the footrest, and the shaft will come back out through that way. Patience is key - it is a frustrating puzzle.
Take the time to really clean the splines on the output shaft of the transmission, and the inside of the slip yoke. Use a wire brush, small pointy scrapers, whatever....and some solvent to flush away the gunk. Get it really really clean and you'll be much happier when you're putting it back together. A liberal amount of motor oil is the magic potion for fitting splines together - none of the spray-bomb concoctions, but simple motor oil.
Use the same patient manipulation to sneak the shaft back into place. Cleaned and oiled properly, the slip yoke will slide over the output shaft with a firm push - no prying or pounding required. Fitting the front yoke will be easy with the diff un-bolted, and the splines are sloppy by design up there - no lube required.
If you plan on having the bike long enough that'll you'll maybe have to repeat this job someday, do yourself a favor and lose the roll pin and replace it with a perfectly-sized bolt and locknut. Good Luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks I finally got it done today. Was messing with it here and there when I had time. I was already doing everything you said I even took the motor mount completely off. Getting it back in around the water pump was just as much fun as getting it out. Got that done changed the motor and front diff oil put in Amsoil, gonna do the tranny and rear diff but I got fix the hole in the tranny the roll pin made at some point that the previous owner covered with rtv. So that roll pin is coming out and getting replaced with a bolt also. I guess this is what you do when you buy a used quad off of Craigslist that "looks and runs like new". Along with that I get to replace the smoked ball joints. Thanks for your help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts