Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
what i like to know is what everybody is doing for the yokes?..my 06 800 sportsman goes threw the yokes like crazey and i am sick of paying $100+tax a peice for them...does anybody have a aftermarket supplier for these?.. i have been looking but found nothing.. i have already wore out 2 complete sets of drive shafts that were under warranty .. but now that warrenty is over i have replaced 2 separate yokes but need more now... and yes my bike has alot of miles on it(14000kms) and yes i am hard on it!!
you can change the yokes all you want but the shafts still have wear.In my quest to a solution,my 05 was still sloppy with a new yoke.Iapplyed some jb weld to the splines and quickly put it togeather .The yokes were now very tight.Isold the bike so dont know if it ever could be removed again or not.Im guessing an inpact hammer would break it free.
ALAN

·
Registered
85 Posts
jb weld would be a perfect fix for this.. or even 3M panel bond..if i was planning on selling it.. and u r correct the splines r wore.. wore bad .. but i have already changed the diff splines in front and back.Havent done the tranny ones yet.. i just find it ridiculous that u should have to do this much work and this much money to keep this ATV's from vibrateing themselves apart.. u don't see this on low mileage units.. and i guess not alot of people put big miles on their bikes.Anyway i have to stop my crying and order some more parts...this is something for people to consider when they r thinking about going polaris after owning other brands or just getting their first ATV

·
Registered
130 Posts
jb weld would be a perfect fix for this.. or even 3M panel bond..if i was planning on selling it.. and u r correct the splines r wore.. wore bad .. but i have already changed the diff splines in front and back.Havent done the tranny ones yet.. i just find it ridiculous that u should have to do this much work and this much money to keep this ATV's from vibrateing themselves apart.. u don't see this on low mileage units.. and i guess not alot of people put big miles on their bikes.Anyway i have to stop my crying and order some more parts...this is something for people to consider when they r thinking about going polaris after owning other brands or just getting their first ATV
Iwas talking to my mechanic friend ,and he thought i might be on to something.He said clean the shaft real good,take your new yoke and smear it with grease,wiping off the access.He then said apply the jb weld to the shaft and install the yoke.The weld will stay on the shaft bringing it back to specs,and the grease on the yoke would help to remove the part.Idont know if it would work or not.Before i kept buying all those yokes,id try something
ALAN

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have found loose shafts at the front diff where the yoke goes toward the tire. Don't know if the problem is the yoke or the splines inside the diff. I can't seem to find replacement splines for the diff.. and the only way to get the yoke is buy a new cv shaft??? any one else have such a problem?

·
Registered
56 Posts
soooo... I am now replacing my u joints as well the fronts are easy the rear seem to be more of an issue. Will this shaft come off without unbolting the rear end of the wheeler?

gat

·
Registered
56 Posts
2007 sportsman drive shafts

so are you guys saying the front propellar shaft will slide off once the pin is knocked out, but the rear shaft I will need to unbolt the diff to remove the propellar shaft?

GAT

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2005 polaris 700 twin can anyone give me some part number for ujoints in the front diff need to replace them. dont want to buy them from the dealer, to much money :thank you

·
Registered
85 Posts
so are you guys saying the front propellar shaft will slide off once the pin is knocked out, but the rear shaft I will need to unbolt the diff to remove the propellar shaft?

GAT
front motor mount has to come out and lift the engine a bit with a pry bar.. it will wiggle out...rear diff needs to slide back in order to get rear shaft out.. did one on a 800 tonite... stupid set up.. but its not hard,just takes time

·
Registered
4 Posts
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700

Pry the yoke off the front diff until it's free move the front of the prop shaft to a point where you can slide/pry it forward said:
Hey guys -- New to the forums and this is an older post so not sure if anyone is going to see HOWEVER I thought i'd give it a shot. I have the front wheels off and the foot well taken off. I have the front prop shaft roll pin driven out however for the life of me can not get the shaft to move forward or back to come off of the spline shaft. I've tried PB Blaster, WD40, a little heat, and swearing at it put it won't budge. I'm afraid if I pry any harder i'm going to break something else. ANY IDEAS ???? - Going to try and attach pic.

Thanks in advance.
Dan

Attachments

·
9,210 Posts
Grease the rear yoke fitting and then peck it back and forth with a block of wood and hammer. Once it starts moving it should get easier. You also have to get the rear yoke rotated in the right position for it to clear the engine case to come off the output shaft.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for you reply. The back shaft is greased. I can slide it already as both u joints are so wore out that the whole shaft slides a 1/4 inch. The front one though where the roll pin is just stuck and good. Have tried driving forward and backward as well as prying and heating it up. I'm afraid I'm going to break something inside of the front housing. Is there a way to maybe drain that housing and take the 4 bolts out and slide it back with it or is there not enough room?

Thanks again
Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the responses. After letting it soak for a couple days (started this project over the weekend), a few more cuss words, and a bigger hammer it finally gave! Ran to O'Reilys for some 338's (man I need a better vise) and the things back in. 1am. Good night!

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does it matter which way you drive the roll pin our is there a certain way it comes out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
06 Polaris Sportsman 800

I just picked up a 06 polaris sportsman. She has a few problems with wheel bearings, it trys to pull off in neutral, and for some reason the awd is locked in and wont turn off. Even when I removed the front of the front drive shaft pull forward and it still turns the drive shaft. Oh and for some reason the drive shaft at the yoke will not come off no matter what ive tried. Any body know where the best place to get parts and how to get this drive shaft off

21 - 40 of 48 Posts