Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my new 570 later today so I haven't read the manual as yet. I'm new to ATV's so don't have any previous experience to draw on for breaking in an ATV.

However, I've read a lot of threads about ensuring a "proper" break-in so I want to make sure I do just that. I try to take good care of my gear and don't want to invite trouble unnecessarily.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

I'll upload pics once I have them. They didn't have the extenders or bumpers in stock so I have to wait a wee while for those to come in.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Looking forward to the pictures. On Break-In do follow manual. Due to normal manufacturing process of metal the parts do make some metal shavings moving past each other hence a good reason not to rod it the first 10 hours and to do the first oil/filter change soon.

Some rod hard from the get go and are fine. Early damage may not be noticed for a few years so if you are a trader you can let someone else worry about the longer term repairs.

Sounds like Santa is being good to you this year. :)

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I usually just take it easy for the first 10 hours or so. After that i push it a little harder to about the 20 hour mark then it should be broke in. At the 20-25 hour mark I do the first oil change. For the forst 10 hours I never go over half throttle and don't let it idle for long periods of time. From about 10 hours to the 20-25 hour mark I go to about 3/4 throttle and not full throttle. It is a slow break in process but it has always worked for me.
I do know some who just hammer it from the word go. I like to let my parts get broken in slow. Not saying one is better than the other that is just the way I do it.

Ronnie

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I usually just take it easy for the first 10 hours or so. After that i push it a little harder to about the 20 hour mark then it should be broke in. At the 20-25 hour mark I do the first oil change. For the forst 10 hours I never go over half throttle and don't let it idle for long periods of time. From about 10 hours to the 20-25 hour mark I go to about 3/4 throttle and not full throttle. It is a slow break in process but it has always worked for me.

I do know some who just hammer it from the word go. I like to let my parts get broken in slow. Not saying one is better than the other that is just the way I do it.

Ronnie

I do the same Ronnie. Just want to add that during break in never tach it put in low. And being a Polaris, only idle in park out neutral, or you run the risk of hourglassing the belt,

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I did an easy break in as well.

I don't exactly agree with less than 1/2 throttle and so on. To properly seat the rings, you need continuously varying throttle. So just don't idle for too long, and don't hold (ex 4000 rpm) for 10 minutes straight.

Because I am OCD with oil changes, I dropped my oil at 10 hours, then again at 25. That way I knew I got any metal shavings out.

Then I changed engine/diffs/trans oil at 40 hours, and it was crazy how many filings were in the diff oils.

·
Registered
679 Posts
How do you all break in your lawn mower or weed whackers? Do you break them in? Do those rings need to be seated properly? Just curious, not trying to throw gas on the fire.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
How do you all break in your lawn mower or weed whackers? Do you break them in? Do those rings need to be seated properly? Just curious, not trying to throw gas on the fire.

Yes, the 'lawn mower' was over $35.000 and break in procedure was followed. Chainsaw and trimmers also were broken in.

The drive it like you stole it attitude is why nothing gets loaned out.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I never mow my yard at high idle so yes my lawn mower was broken in slow. My weed eater is one of those Ryobi electric jobs so there is nothing slow about it.
My truck was driven at 55mph and nothing over for the first 500 miles.
We all be different and nothing is wrong with it.
The only fuel that gets put on the fire is when you mention Mobile 1 to Bob.:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao: I couldn't help myself Bob.

Ronnie

·
Registered
422 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Drain 1 qt. of the motor oil out, add 1 qt. of Wesson, then hold'er wide open for a few miles......just kidding :chairfall:...
I have had multiple quads, like many on here.
Multiple utility and race quads, and I have tried every break unknown. I have had no bad experiences with any....but I will add....I raced many diff quads.
I would heat cycle at varying rpm's for 15-20 mins, 3 diff times. Just ride 0-1/2 throttle.
After that I would let her eat,and hard.
Ride for approx 2 hrs., on a practice track, then change oil,ect.
That's what I have done the last 13 years, with no issue, and I am NOT saying my way is correct, just has worked for approx. last 11 quads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts