Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I was wondering with the spring just around the corner and some wet riding from rain / mud ahead.. what do you all prefer for proper riding attire / wet or rain suits.

Also what are some general must haves out there on the trail to pack in your rear luggage ? Just looking for some different ideas / opinions

Thanks,

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
layers while riding, and spare dry cloths in the trunk and in the car. I usually wear non-insulated Snowboarding pants, and a gor-tex shell jacket when I ride. Even when it's dry because in Western WA I'm pretty much assured I'll find a puddle or two to play in. I also wear gor-tex work boots to keep my feet dry. I don't need chest waders because I make it a point to keep the water below the footwells when ever possible.

·
Registered
978 Posts
depends where im riding. Out trailing riding just wear my hunting/hiking boots and cloths i dont care if they get dirty. When knowing ill be in mud or wet outside ill wear my water boots and a .88 cent poncho from walmart under my shirt to stay dry. I always bring a dry/clean change of cloths with no matter what conditions im riding in.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I wear a helmet. Also like wearing my snake boots,great protection against briers and waterproof. Always carry some TP...a must have when needed...lol sure beats a leaf!! Carry my hunting rain gear,keep it in the truck unless the forecast is calling for rain.Keep extra cloths in the truck.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I use tall MUCK boots 3 seasons. Always find water. Some cheap rain pants, with or without pants under, depending on temp. Temp appropriate gloves and wind breaker , MX helmet and goggles. Carry extra socks and shirt in car for drive home if needed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what about supplies and gear you bring along in your rear packs ? Is there a preferred tire repair kit.. or emergency gear you wouldn't leave home without ?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I have a small 12 volt compressor and plugs. My buddy carries slime usually. I also have a small tool kit for basic repairs. A hatchet, tow strap, tree saver and snatch block. My wife carries food/ drink and an automotive type emergency kit. Have not needed anything except the compressor so far.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Guys! New to the forum. Been browsing it since July though.... lol. Thought I was a member and tried to log in but i didnt exist yet :ponder:

Anyways! Back to the subject. For my riding gear I always wear my MX helmet and goggles, long pants, and my 8" steel toe waterproof workboots. And season and weather dependantI can be found in a t shirt, shirt and hoodie, or in the trifecta (baselayer, midlayer, and outers; top and bottom).
I live in a great area though; I am only at most a 10 min drive from great riding so I dont bring a change of clothes.

As for what is in my atv's front box I have; a tree strap, bottles of water, granola bars, tire patch kit (had a compressor but it died... havent replaced it yet, lol), work gloves, riding gloves, surveyors tape, chainsaw scrench, chainsaw chaps, sunscreen and hand/ feet warmers. In the back hatch I have the tool kit, manual, insurance papers, a beyer grills survival knife, whistle, matches and thats that.

I also have a D Handle shovel mounted on the rear of my atv; just in case..... and a Husqvarna 435 chainsaw mounted to the front box with my custom chainsaw holder; another just in case!

Sorry if thats too much!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Flashlight with extra batteries, and some kind of fire starter. Just in case something goes bad.

·
Registered
460 Posts
A lot of these have been mentioned.
But here is what I keep:
Knife, machete or hatchet, mini compressor, plug kit, basic tools, tie -wraps in several sizes, extra spark plugs, duct tape, rain gear, a USGI folding shovel, compass, whistle, bandanna, a couple ziplock bags, old camp pot, fire starting materials, flashlight, a 12hr light stick and an emergency blanket, A couple MRE's, a little extra water beyond what I think I'll need. Small first aid kit.

Sounds like a lot of stuff l, but it all fits in my rear cargo box, with room to spare.

Oh yeah, and always TP!

Sounds like a lot of

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Here's what's in my bike at all times.

tools, TP, folding Shovel, Machete, tree saver, rope, Tarp, Survival kit (which includes first aid supplies, fishing supplies, fire starting supplies, and emergency blanket,), Hammer & 3 sections of 1/2" x18" (incase I need to winch out of somewhere and a tree isn't big enough/close enough.) Come-a-long (incase the winch fails), water proof matches, TP, Motorola two way radio, hiking cooking supplies (including a sterno stove and pots and pans, means I can make clean water where ever I'm at and don't need to pack as much), water, a small towel, TP, dry closes, Work gloves, extra riding gloves, .45 pistol (not left on machine when not riding), Snacks, starter fluid, Seafoam, extra fuel, Duct tape, spare spark plug, Tire plugs, compressor, and last but not least TP.

it seems like a lot, but it fits in the front storage and rear trunk save the extra fuel. And the trunk is smaller than the typical ones you find on the full-sized machines.

I should point out, I do a lot of riding by myself. Just take the machine out on the trails by my house so I need to be self sufficient. Where as I don't think my list would change if I were riding with buddies all the time, I might carry less recovery gear on a permanent basis.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I have a small 12 volt compressor and plugs. My buddy carries slime usually. I also have a small tool kit for basic repairs. A hatchet, tow strap, tree saver and snatch block. My wife carries food/ drink and an automotive type emergency kit. Have not needed anything except the compressor so far.
Our rear seat/cargo boxes are stocked pretty much like this too.....

Mine: 12V Air Compressor, Slime Tire Plug kit, Cressent Wrench (aka Cressent Hammer :D), Tow Straps, Extra Clothes/Sweat Shirt, ect.

Wifes: Food/Snacks/Drinking Water, Tow Strap, First Aid Kit, Sun Scren/Block, 1 Gallon Gas Can (and gasoline :D), and Extra Clothes/Sweat Shirt, ect.

And any other supplies that we may think we'll need for the day. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I have opened up cans of worms on this topic so I will just say I bring whatever whoppingpeelies does as I ride with him, lol... but we stick to state trails so there always seems to be many around and we are only around 5-10 miles from the truck so I don't always pack all my goodies.. oh as far as attire, I am a hip wader guy with crappy old rain jacket, less if it's hot out, like shorts and crocks, lol

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't have a compressor....yet....I carry a manual air pump with my tire plugs and it works ok..........I do want a small compressor though. And I have a small jump box I tote with me also. Also the already mentioned essentials, tools, first aid, water, etc......

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I have opened up cans of worms on this topic so I will just say I bring whatever whoppingpeelies does as I ride with him, lol... but we stick to state trails so there always seems to be many around and we are only around 5-10 miles from the truck so I don't always pack all my goodies.. oh as far as attire, I am a hip wader guy with crappy old rain jacket, less if it's hot out, like shorts and crocks, lol

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via tapatalk
Don't forget your refreshments!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I don't have a compressor....yet....I carry a manual air pump with my tire plugs and it works ok..........I do want a small compressor though. And I have a small jump box I tote with me also. Also the already mentioned essentials, tools, first aid, water, etc......
I picked up my compressor at Manards for under 15$. Must have. Fits perfect in the rear storage of my 800 and leaves room for other @#$%.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I can't believe only a couple of you mentioned toilet paper (OK, ThorsHammer mentioned it several times :) ). Getting caught without it is like getting caught with your pants down.... never mind :shocked1:

Amongst many of the other items mentioned, I also just picked up an Antigravity Micro Start. I was playing with it after I got it. That thing is amazing. Much easier to use than jumper cables and hardly takes up any space.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts