Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes it's hard to shift, is there a proper way to shift? I know to shift from Reverse and High you need to step on the pedal, but sometimes it's hard,

Thanks in adavance

·
Registered
862 Posts
Normally had shifting is a belt or clutch issue causing the belt to engage at idle and put pressure on the drive line making it hard to change gears. Is it just as hard to shift while its not running? Also does the atv tend to want to creep while idleing in gear, thats another indication of clutch/belt problems.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Should be smooth shifting

Maybe your idle speed is too high, check that first. Or try this, shut engine off when in whatever gear, then see if its EZ to shift. If it is then you know its the idle being too high. Before you adjust check that your throttle cable isn't being tugged by anything around the handlebars. Luck...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Normally had shifting is a belt or clutch issue causing the belt to engage at idle and put pressure on the drive line making it hard to change gears. Is it just as hard to shift while its not running? Also does the atv tend to want to creep while idleing in gear, thats another indication of clutch/belt problems.
No creeping, atv sounds fine but sometimes it's is just hard to shift and then couple of tries later it's easy again, sorry I'm an first time atv owner and I'm no help to my own questions

·
Registered
862 Posts
Next time its giving you a hard time kill the engine and see if it shifts easy then. Worn belt or clutch and high idle can cause hard shifting.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next time its giving you a hard time kill the engine and see if it shifts easy then. Worn belt or clutch and high idle can cause hard shifting.
What if it shift easy when the engine is not running? What if it's hard ? Is it costly to have the clutch or belt replaced? Worst case scenario

·
Registered
862 Posts
If its easier to shift when its not running then for what ever reason the belt is putting tension on the gears. A worn belt can drop further down in the clutch and get pinched, or the clutch may not be opening all the way. Eaisest thing to check is the idle, try to note the idle rpm of when its giving you issues and when its not. If the idle is the same and around 1300rpms then its probably a belt or clutch issue, you would have to take the clutch cover off and make a visual inspection for any obvious problems. Belts are easy to replace and do not require any special tools, rebuilding the clutches isnt bad, but does require a clutch puller at the very leastif you need to take it off.

When was the last time the trans fluid was changed?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
My guess..... idle to high, worn belt or broken motor mount.

Reasons:

Idle to high, causes clutch to lightly engage on belt creating tension on the transmission = hard to shift.

Worn belt, causes belt to ride lower in secondary clutch creating tensionon the transmission = hard to shift.

Broken (front) motor mount, causes engine to shift putting tension on the belt which lightly engage on belt creating tension on the transmission = hard to shift.

I'd start by pulling the clutch cover and inspecting and cleaning everything up. Then check the front motor mount.... using a pry bar lightly pry upward on the engine. If it moves much, Bingo! If not check the idle speed..... if that's okay, replace the belt.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
If you're not to far from me in MN I can check it out if you get stumped. But everyone else has given the info you need to get started figuring it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same issue as Phooj. I even snapped the linkage on a cold day because it wouldn't shift. I brought it to the shop and they replaced the linkage. Now, it seems very difficult to get the machine to stay in gear, except High (all the way forward) or Park (all the way back). Ideas??

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you're not to far from me in MN I can check it out if you get stumped. But everyone else has given the info you need to get started figuring it out.

I'm right in the cities, I am already for being not mechanical incline and a first time owner, that would be great if you took a look at it for me, it's just hard to shift sometimes and then you rock it back and forth it's okay then

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I'm right in the cities, I am already for being not mechanical incline and a first time owner, that would be great if you took a look at it for me, it's just hard to shift sometimes and then you rock it back and forth it's okay then
It shift easy when engine is kill

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

It shift easy when engine is kill
That tells me it's one of the issues (or closely related) already listed..... Good luck finding your issue. Shouldn't cost to much for parts either way... $35-50 for a motor mount and $65-80 for a bet..... plus the $150+/hour Ryan charges :D I'm kidding.... I really have no idea what hourly rate is! :fing02:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe your idle speed is too high, check that first. Or try this, shut engine off when in whatever gear, then see if its EZ to shift. If it is then you know its the idle being too high. Before you adjust check that your throttle cable isn't being tugged by anything around the handlebars. Luck...
Idle speed is around 1100-1250

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
My shop rate is $40/hr. Sounds like you might need a little clutch work done. I'm in North Branch. Feel free to call if you like and I can walk you through some stuff to check or set you up an appointment to drop it off to be checked over. 651-707-6706

Ryan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts