Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe a stupid question but what type of lube/grease do I use on the transmission belt and pulley. I just pulled and re-installed and need to re-lube it now. I could not identify the grease that was on there other than it was not thick... Almost film like and was nearly impossible to wash off my hands. Anyone know? The service manual I have Doesn't seem to provide any direction here.

Edit sorry- machine is an 88 250 4x4

Thanks
Dahlbug

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For anyone that cares I talked to a Polaris tech and they said to just use standard belt dressing.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
I dont think it should have any grease on the drive belt. Belt dressing can be used, but if you need it, it is usually a band-aid to a bigger problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No grease or belt dressing needed at all. That stuff that wouldn't come off your hands is burnt rubber. You might have gotten the clutches hot and over-heated the clutching components (primary clutch, secondary clutch, and drive belt). Clean the clutches real good with a degreaser and rinse with warm water and let air dry. Then make sure when you put the belt back on you can read the letters/numbers on the belt.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I agree, NO GREASE, OIL or ANYTHING on the belt!!

Likely what you have found is moisture, mixed with belt dust creating a "greasy" likely substance. Pull the cover, clean everything out really well, dress the sheaves and replace that belt. Yours is likely saturated and no good. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I Had a similar problem on my 700 when a seal was weeping inside the CVT...

CW

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I will go that route. For context the motor was seized when I bought this so I have no comparison of the way things are "supposed" to be. Great to get the insight here. I really appreciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts