Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I would like to know if I can pull my 2001 magnum in back of my truck on a dirt road for a distance of 10 miles by attaching it on my hitch?
I do not want to always use a trailer, I do not want to put in my box, most of the time I am alone so I can not ride it and drive my truck.
Any tips or suggestions?
Thank

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Don't see why not.

Sure you could, many pull jeeps that way. Obviously shouldn't drive too fast on curves/heavy dips/bumps. Luck! :cowboy:

·
Registered
399 Posts
If your alone most of the time, how are you going to keep the handle bars straight when you are towing it down the road?

To me your answer is in your box or trailer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank for all those reply,
I was wondering if there was another way to bring my atv instead of leaving it there on a trailer.
I can not put it in my box because I need to carry too much stuff for fishing and hunting , last summer I use a trailer all season.I got tired of it. What if I do like a towing for car ( hook up front wheel on a hardness?
Thank you

·
Registered
246 Posts
If your alone most of the time, how are you going to keep the handle bars straight when you are towing it down the road?

To me your answer is in your box or trailer.
wondering that too... without someone sitting on it to steer or hit the brakes if you stop, it seems like another youtube ******* fail scenario.

if it were me, id put the quad in the pickup truck bed, and get a hitch mount rack and strap your fishing/hunting gear there if it fits.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
You would have to rig up some kind of tow bar for it. I don't see why it couldn't be done. I think I'd put it on a trailer before rigging up a tow bar tho!!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Look up a keeganbar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you very much CHRONIX 79
This is exactly what I need, Perfect for me.Thank again!!!!
This is why we should always ask a question in the right forum !!!!!!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
You're welcome, I remembered seeing those a few years back.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Does your quad have neutral? I only ask cause some cars and trucks are not made to be towed behind an RV for the reason being the tranny and t-case are not getting lubed when the car is not running and there for can hurt your rig I would check with your dealer first to make sure you won't damage something.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
watch that video again. That hitch moves at the 1:40 mark. and that's on smooth pavement.

Personally I'd much rather put wear and tear on $5 trailer bearings and the trailer tires, than on the entire drive train of my $$$$ ATV and 4 ATV tires. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I agree with Thor and Cubby, I think this is a terrible idea. None of these machines were built to be towed on the ground, and there are all sorts of possible issues you could cause. Use a trailer and do it right.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
watch that video again. That hitch moves at the 1:40 mark. and that's on smooth pavement.

Personally I'd much rather put wear and tear on $5 trailer bearings and the trailer tires, than on the entire drive train of my $$$$ ATV and 4 ATV tires. Just my $0.02.
Not to mention a couple bungees to keep the steering locked. That whole setup looks pretty sketchy. I guess if you were on smooth flat pavement and never went over 10 mph it would work.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
For the record, I would never use one of these on my quad...lol...just remembered seeing something about it and its exactly what the guy asked for. I don't think it hard mounts to the bumper, looks like it slides over the bumper bar and has some kind of pin system to keep it in...seems it would scratch the bumper up pretty bad sliding around like that. Now, if I had an old hunting ATV and just had to go 5-10 miles I might give this a look...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Even if the tranny was in neutral, does the belt still not turn? I thought that is why you can't let them idle in neutral for long periods of time. Could that flat spot the belt?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
you'll have the opposite problem. the belt will turn but the drive clutch will not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As a matter of fact I have a old polaris for hunting and fishing. The reasons for me to use this, is that I only have to pull on a distance of 8-9 miles (12.5 km). I want to leave the atv at a friend chalet, I drive in that dirt road at a speed of 10 -15 m hr. If not I need to drive 100 miles with the trailer and the atv , the trailer sometimes I need home
Thank you

1 - 20 of 22 Posts