Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after browsing for a while, this is my first post. Unfortunately, I had a problem today with my new 2012 850 XP. After playing in the mud a bit, I ended up puncturing my oil filter without knowing it. I was able to ride for another 2-3 minutes and the machine then shut down. My question is, did it shut down because it has some form of sensor to know the oil pressure was low or was it simply the engine failing and giving up? My hope is that it was shut down before there was any engine damage.

I do have it up and running and it doesn't show any signs of damage, but I'm still curious to know what happened and how this event could have influenced the life of my engine.

Thanks!

-mfdoc

·
Registered
213 Posts
Welcome Aboard. That sounds scary. I would take it to the dealer and have them check it out!!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I put a piece if metal strap held on with 2 screws across my oil filter hole so this wont happen, my son ran a stick through his , smelled oil and shut it off right away, not gonna happen again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put a piece if metal strap held on with 2 screws across my oil filter hole so this wont happen, my son ran a stick through his , smelled oil and shut it off right away, not gonna happen again.
Good call. I hope I didn't have to find out the hard way. I won't be riding again without a cover on the filter recess.

I also can't find anything to support my hope that Polaris has an emergency oil shutdown on these things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts