Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new here so hello to everyone.

I’m always snooping around looking for a good deal. I’m pretty mechanically inclined and enjoy tinkering..my last challenge was rebuilding the 268 4.2 in my 82 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler. It actually went pretty well.

Anyway, ran across a CL listing for a 1999 Sportsman 335. It is really clean looking but is currently not running. It’s a one owner, the owner is telling me that it ran up until a few weeks ago. The prior 6 months he had to start it using “starting fluid” but now it will not start at all. He thinks the rings are shot along with low compression caused by the use of the starting. Other than that he says everything else works fine, front the pics you can tell it has been taken care of. From what he told me he just parked it and went out and bought a new one.

I’m not an atv mechanic but as mentioned do luck tinkering. I can pick it up for $450 which sounds reasonable.

Anyone care to share their thoughts on it? Buy or don’t buy?? Stay the heck away from it?

Thanks
Griff04

·
9,423 Posts
That would be a pretty good project bike IF you can find parts!! I did a quick search and couldn't find a top end kit for that machine. Plenty of top end gasket sets on ebay but even partzilla only had oversize rings available but no oversize piston and NOTHING standard size!
I'd make sure I could get parts before I jumped into that. Might explain the problem to him (he may already know) and offer him $300 to take a chance on it? You could always part it out for your money back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be a pretty good project bike IF you can find parts!! I did a quick search and couldn't find a top end kit for that machine. Plenty of top end gasket sets on ebay but even partzilla only had oversize rings available but no oversize piston and NOTHING standard size!
I'd make sure I could get parts before I jumped into that. Might explain the problem to him (he may already know) and offer him $300 to take a chance on it? You could always part it out for your money back.
After doing some googling on it sounds like it’s pointing to a compression issue. I also looked around and couldn’t find any oversized pistons. Wondering if just reboring/rehoning and putting the oversized rings would suffice?

Thanks for the quick reply,
Griff04

1 - 7 of 7 Posts