Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced all the push pin fasteners on their XP's? I am referring to all the ones connecting the side panels to the wheel wells, front plastics, and rear plastics. I cant stand the things and couldn't hardly believe a $12,000 MSRP quad comes with them. I much prefer screws and a backing nut. If any of you have switched them out, what did you use?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I prefer the push pins too. Make sure you're using the pliers from your quads tool kit to get them out. The tip of the pliers is made for it. I have a box of them on hand for replacements because they do wear out and occasionally they do get mangled. Doing a nut and bolt would be impossible in certain locations. There is no way to get behind it with a wrench.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I prefer the push pins over bolts!! Alot easier and faster to get out!!

My S3 addiction!!
what is the secret to them not wearing out from taking them off and on a few times? I usually use a small screwdriver, but is there a better way?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
This thread is funny bc I just ordered a bag of 25 pins off ebay ($8) today since the wife got a little too close to a tree this weekend and popped one out. I like them better than bolts. The plastic rivet pins shear or pop out on impact/flexing where as a bolt would tear the plastics of the ATV.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Yep, I use the plier method also...you can use almost any set of pliers though. On my old Eiger 400 I used a small metal washer on the backside for the ones that didn't hold too snug anymore.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I am jaded on putting that back in my buddie's grizzly..they are all worn out and dont hold for shit. My Brute used screws which were a lot sturdier...but that being said, I did clip a tree with the fender and it pulled out the hole on the back side where the plastic push pins would have likely given. I will get a bag of extras ordered to keep on hand!

·
Super Moderator
7,078 Posts
I believe that is the thought behind them. I have hooked a fender before and it popped the pins instead of tearing the fender from the footwell. Actually a pretty good idea.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'd have to say that I like them too..... if they wear out, take them to the parts store and have them matched. I think I picked up a 12 count bag for less then $15-16 within the last year or two They are really close to the size my GM fan/radiator cover uses.

As for removal, they make a special tool, but I've always used a small screw driver in one hand and a small needle nose pliers in the other..... pop right out if done correctly!!

Now the push rivits with the threaded screw center are the pains in the @ss, to much work for the same thing as a std push rivit!! :D

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I like them, especially now that I know which set of pliers do the best taking them out. skip the needle nose and screw driver technique and move to a set of nipper pliers like these

Husky 7 in. End Nipper-48060 at The Home Depot

the pair I have came in a multipack of pliers from HD and I think are only 5" they slip right over the center head and will pull them right out. also, if you can get to the back of them. using a screwdriver to push the center out makes it a lot easier to get them out as well.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Got 25 off eBay for 8$.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I like them, especially now that I know which set of pliers do the best taking them out. skip the needle nose and screw driver technique and move to a set of nipper pliers like these

Husky 7 in. End Nipper-48060 at The Home Depot

the pair I have came in a multipack of pliers from HD and I think are only 5" they slip right over the center head and will pull them right out. also, if you can get to the back of them. using a screwdriver to push the center out makes it a lot easier to get them out as well.
Thanks for the incite..... that does look like it would work a little handier for removing them. And if it doesn't..... just snip them off!! :D

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I wouldn't recommend doing a full snip... getting the center out would be even harder with the head off.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I wouldn't recommend doing a full snip... getting the center out would be even harder with the head off.
I was joking.... but if you couldn't get it out, you could just snip it and punch it thru! :D

Thanks again for the great idea! :idea:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Has anyone replaced all the push pin fasteners on their XP's? I am referring to all the ones connecting the side panels to the wheel wells, front plastics, and rear plastics. I cant stand the things and couldn't hardly believe a $12,000 MSRP quad comes with them..........
Most cars now use the exact same or similar pins. My 2005 Pilot has them, 2008 Altima. And the one I got off ebay have a GM part # on them.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
yeah, My trail blazer has them too.

·
Registered
729 Posts
this thread is funny bc i just ordered a bag of 25 pins off ebay ($8) today since the wife got a little too close to a tree this weekend and popped one out. I like them better than bolts. The plastic rivet pins shear or pop out on impact/flexing where as a bolt would tear the plastics of the atv.
x 2 !

1 - 20 of 34 Posts