Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Sportsman 500. It has great power, but growing up on a 1990 fourtrax 300 4x4, it's been a hard transition due to the belt drive system on the polaris. How can I make the throttle response more crisp and have more immediate power to the ground? I've noticed that in the mud/ruts it has a hard time getting the tires to spin in high range, I know I can go to low range but it's annoying constantly having to stop to engage high range between holes...any tips/advice?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
What tires are you running? Sounds like a clutch kit may be in your future as it's probably the best way to increase low end. Know that no matter what you do, there will always be a delay between when you hit the throttle and when the clutch engages.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Clutch kit, performance CDI box, performance air filter, exhaust, jet kit/fuel controller. In that order, kinda.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks y'all. I'm only running the stock 25" tires, and I do not plan on going up in size due to wma regulations. But what type/brand of clutch kit should I get? Are there any differences in the level of intensity with the kits out there?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Thanks y'all. I'm only running the stock 25" tires, and I do not plan on going up in size due to wma regulations. But what type/brand of clutch kit should I get? Are there any differences in the level of intensity with the kits out there?
With stockers I am surprised that you are having trouble spinning them in high. Hope you aren't using high in that LA peanut butter mud :yikes:

Anyway, your best bet is to pick a company (EPI, quadshop customs) and give them a call. These guys fool around with clutching all day long and will know exactly what you need to get exactly what you're looking for. I know when I called EPI the were very friendly and eager to help. They don't act like you're a moron for not knowing.

Other than that it will be a little trial and error on your part. Many guys here have been running the EPI red primary to get a little more low end but that is usually with heavier tires. It also increases your engangement so that there is even more delay between throttle application and wheels turning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, I try to avoid gumbo mud as much as I can. As of right now it does spin the tires in mud,in a way, but I'd like to see more power at lower engine speeds so I don't have to keep switching from low to high range when I have to go through rut. Seems like I have to lay on the throttle to get the bike moving again when I do. But then again I haven't had my 500 that long. I may just need to get use to it.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Quadshop Customs knows how to set up your clutch to better transfer that power to the ground

·
Registered
49 Posts
Clutch kit, performance CDI box, performance air filter, exhaust, jet kit/fuel controller. In that order, kinda.
I have been looking for an aftermarket performance cdi box, do you know of one?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I got mine off Ebay. Paid less than for a new stocker. Just go there and type in Performance CDI boxes with your quad info. Good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 2011 Sportsman 500. It has great power, but growing up on a 1990 fourtrax 300 4x4, it's been a hard transition due to the belt drive system on the polaris. How can I make the throttle response more crisp and have more immediate power to the ground? I've noticed that in the mud/ruts it has a hard time getting the tires to spin in high range, I know I can go to low range but it's annoying constantly having to stop to engage high range between holes...any tips/advice?
Yeah, it takes a while to get used to. My 850 doesn't take off easy and there is always a clank of some sort(u-joints catching I think) and it kind of freaked me out for a while. It's kind of similar to how the Powerstroke Diesels always sound like they're about to fall apart before they get going, ha!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts