Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Polaris Sportsman 500. I ripped my front end apart to repair an axle. I notice that the shock just slides into the hub and then clamped. Is there a right way to set the position in the hub? Or do you just lower the ATV and tighten. I assume this is how you would set some pre load on the spring. Also how tight to I put the axle nut. Thanks.

·
Registered
14,116 Posts
You tore it apart without a service manual and now you need information from the manual to put it together? AMAZING!

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
It didn’t leave any mark on strut where it was from exposure? Can’t you just match the other side or did you pull both apart?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It didn’t leave any mark on strut where it was from exposure? Can’t you just match the other side or did you pull both apart?
I was thinking about a mark, and also I could measure the other side. I was a break down repair in the dark. I was just really curious about the proper way. I’m working on getting a service manual.

·
13,200 Posts
For future reference... There's no reason to pull the strut cartridge out of the strut housing when removing the axle.
The strut simply slides all the way down to the bottom and is then clamped tight. It will only go so far. You may need to loosen the top since you be trying to compress the spring slightly. Or you can let some weight of the machine down on it to compress the spring and then push down between the spring coils on top of the cartridge to push it down to the bottom of the housing.

·
Registered
14,116 Posts
Here's the strut assembly - the cartridge sets into the knuckle and the bolts are tightened as indicated, the spring sets over the cartridge and the rod is secured in the seat as indicated. Reverse of how you disassembled it and there is no need to remove it to change or service an axle. If you want a copy of the manual, PM me an email address and be sure to specify which manual you are requesting.

BTW, the axle/hub torque is included therein too.

Font Slope Parallel Auto part Engineering

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
For future reference... There's no reason to pull the strut cartridge out of the strut housing when removing the axle.
The strut simply slides all the way down to the bottom and is then clamped tight. It will only go so far. You may need to loosen the top since you be trying to compress the spring slightly. Or you can let some weight of the machine down on it to compress the spring and then push down between the spring coils on top of the cartridge to push it down to the bottom of the housing.
polman that got me thinking, not that I need or want to, but if someone was looking for a lift on front couldn’t you add some sort of a spacer/slug into sleeve?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks! I’m used to always unbolting the bottom of the shock on other types of machines.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's the strut assembly - the cartridge sets into the knuckle and the bolts are tightened as indicated, the spring sets over the cartridge and the rod is secured in the seat as indicated. Reverse of how you disassembled it and there is no need to remove it to change or service an axle. If you want a copy of the manual, PM me an email address and be sure to specify which manual you are requesting.

BTW, the axle/hub torque is included therein too.

View attachment 156885
Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is my first Polaris that I am riding/working on. I was thinking what makes their suspension so special. It looks pretty basic to me. But rides so soft and smooth. But I was surprised by the length of the front shock… lots of travel there!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I look at the parts drawing or the picture above, I don’t see anything that indicates rubber or something flexible on top of the shock. Yet when I push the shock up it feels like there is some cushion there. Is that right? Is the cup some soft material?

·
13,200 Posts
polman that got me thinking, not that I need or want to, but if someone was looking for a lift on front couldn’t you add some sort of a spacer/slug into sleeve?
Yep. You can just not seat it all the way down in the housing but you need to install a spacer of some sort under the spring to take up the slack or it will be loose and sag. That DIY mod should only be a couple inches though or you'll lose clamping grip on the strut tube. There used to be aftermarket spacers available or I've seen guys use a section of thick wall PVC under the spring.
I don't remember have part numbers handy or remember exact years but I've raised the front of a couple older machines by installing a few years newer struts that have longer travel and springs. Did that on the mint 2002 RSE I added to my stable a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Yep. You can just not seat it all the way down in the housing but you need to install a spacer of some sort under the spring to take up the slack or it will be loose and sag. That DIY mod should only be a couple inches though or you'll lose clamping grip on the strut tube. There used to be aftermarket spacers available or I've seen guys use a section of thick wall PVC under the spring.
I don't remember have part numbers handy or remember exact years but I've raised the front of a couple older machines by installing a few years newer struts that have longer travel and springs. Did that on the mint 2002 RSE I added to my stable a few years ago.
Now that I think about it, I seem to remember you pointing that out a while back. Surprised you don’t hear of that more!

·
13,200 Posts
Here's a link to a set of Polaris OEM spring spacers. There are others. I think they were originally intended for use with a plow to prevent spring sag.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts