Polaris ATV Forum banner

Putting back my hub and shock

1K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  polman500 
#1 ·
2013 Polaris Sportsman 500. I ripped my front end apart to repair an axle. I notice that the shock just slides into the hub and then clamped. Is there a right way to set the position in the hub? Or do you just lower the ATV and tighten. I assume this is how you would set some pre load on the spring. Also how tight to I put the axle nut. Thanks.

#10 ·
For future reference... There's no reason to pull the strut cartridge out of the strut housing when removing the axle.
The strut simply slides all the way down to the bottom and is then clamped tight. It will only go so far. You may need to loosen the top since you be trying to compress the spring slightly. Or you can let some weight of the machine down on it to compress the spring and then push down between the spring coils on top of the cartridge to push it down to the bottom of the housing.

#12 ·
Here's the strut assembly - the cartridge sets into the knuckle and the bolts are tightened as indicated, the spring sets over the cartridge and the rod is secured in the seat as indicated. Reverse of how you disassembled it and there is no need to remove it to change or service an axle. If you want a copy of the manual, PM me an email address and be sure to specify which manual you are requesting.

BTW, the axle/hub torque is included therein too.

Font Slope Parallel Auto part Engineering

#17 ·
When I look at the parts drawing or the picture above, I don’t see anything that indicates rubber or something flexible on top of the shock. Yet when I push the shock up it feels like there is some cushion there. Is that right? Is the cup some soft material?

#20 ·
Here's a link to a set of Polaris OEM spring spacers. There are others. I think they were originally intended for use with a plow to prevent spring sag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.