Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I picked up a new take off set of 26" wheels to put on my 06 Sportsman 500 EFI and my wheel studs are too short AND do not have tapered lugs. I searched the web and asked SUPERATV.com and came up empty handed. I imagine I am not the first person to ask this question. Does anyone make adapters or do i need to change the studs? Pic Below

Thanks!

IMG_3788.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Change the studs to longer ones and buy different acorn nuts

·
9,789 Posts
No such thing as 26" wheels for a atv that I'm aware of. You may have 26" tires on whatever size wheels.
What are the wheels made for? In other words what is the offset and size?
Will they bolt up without hitting the tie rods or strut? If they won't then you'll need spacers. If they will actually fit your machine without interference then you'll only need longer studs and the appropriate tapered lug nuts for the wheels.

·
9,789 Posts
From what I can tell from the picture they look like 14" wheels.
Are they from a newer model machine? If so, the offset may not work for you without spacers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I can tell from the picture they look like 14" wheels.
Are they from a newer model machine? If so, the offset may not work for you without spacers.
They are 26" tires my mistype. I need to check clearance but I would think someone makes adapters in combination with spacers

·
9,789 Posts
Not sure what you're wanting to "adapt"?
From your picture the studs and the wheel have the same bolt pattern so you don't really need to "adapt" anything. But you can't use the flat steel wheel nuts on a cast aluminum wheel that has tapered holes. You must have longer studs and tapered nuts even with spacers. The first question is will the wheels fit without interference without spacers??
So again, my questions... What did the wheels come off of and what size are they? What brand are they? OEM or aftermarket? That will tell you what the offset is and what you have to do to make them fit your older style 500. If they are newer OEM 14" wheels with a 6+1 offset I think you'll probably need spacers with long studs and nuts for them to work on your machine. I KNOW for sure you must have tapered nuts to fit the wheel regardless.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure what you're wanting to "adapt"?.
yes, I need to check clearances. and they are 26" tires on OEM polaris wheels that I was told came off a sportsman.

I see alot of companies making adapters for polaris machines so i figured it'd be as simple as bolting on an adapter that has longer studs and will also allow me to use tapered nuts (and spacer if i need it)... guess no one has really done this.

The (adapter > stud) replacement difference is simpler and probably cheaper... I'll most likely have to remove the hubs (because installing longer studs will hit the rotor going in)

·
9,789 Posts
Ok. The studs can be changed easily to the longer ones for cast wheels WITHOUT any spacers IF you have room for the inset of the wheel on your machine. I don't think you do. You simply remove the brake disc to install studs no matter what length you're installing. The nuts have nothing to do with the hub, spacer or anything else but the way the holes are made in the new wheels. You MUST have new nuts to use those wheels! The adapters you see are for changing from one bolt pattern to another. Not for what you want to do.

·
9,789 Posts
As you can see in the pictures below, your 2006 Sportsman 500 was available from the factory with either steel wheels or cast aluminum wheels. If it was delivered with steel wheels it had shorter studs and flat flange nuts. Part numbers 7515513 and 7547237 flange nuts #12.
If delivered with cast wheels it had longer studs 7518378 and taper nuts #13 part number 7547309
It appears the new wheels you have are for something like a 2014 850 xp as seen in the second picture. They came from the factory with any one of THREE different wheels...steel or two different styles of cast aluminum. From your pic it appears you have #5 part number 1521484
Maybe someone who has actually used those type wheels on an older machine will speak up and

·
Premium Member
7,979 Posts
if the rims and tires clear the tie rod ends then all you need are the longer studs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just following up... everything is installed! Thanks for the help @polman500

Clearance was no issue so i bought:
  • Longer studs (3/8-24x1.38 new size) from Jet ski's international : $25.44 shipped for a set of 16 (cheapest i found) Polaris part # 7518378
  • Tapered lugs black on amazon for $17 shipped or something
Had to loosen the front rotors a bit but the old studs came right out with 1 hammer blow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts