Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got the QSC clutch kit installed in my 2009 850XP and love it! It took away all the jerkiness when taking off in forward and reverse. I did not have time to ride it a lot and check out the difference in acceleration beside I installed a new belt and need to break it in first. I did notice a little creep at first but that went away after a little riding. It is kind of hard to shift right now I hope that goes away to as the belt wears in some. I want to thank Ridinagain for great customer service I highly recommend buying through him.:veryhappy:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
QSC makes an awesome product for sure! Glad you like the kit PB, the creep should be gone after a heat cycle on the belt and is the reason why its difficult for you to shift it right now; as the secondary is being turned so it doesn't want to enter or leave whatever gear you have selected. What belt did you go with?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Congrats! Its a great clutch kit. :) Kudos to Ridinagain on yet another satisfied customer.:biggthumpup:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Amdforever, I went with the OEM Polaris belt. I figured it will get better once the belt seats in some.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Yeah if the creep and stiff shifting doesn't go away with another ride or two, take a look at the clutching with the outter CVT housing off. When I installed my kit, with no shim and then the really thin shim, the XTX and OEM belts would still be gripped by the primary. Has to do with the weight/springs on mine for my riding style; was allowing the primary to close a hair more then stock setup so was inducing creep and hard shifting. Your's might be doing the same if that OEM belt doesn't stretch and form within the next ride.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Glad to hear it's doing what you wanted it to so far. Wait till you get it out for a good ride and see how you like it. I bet it's even more than you already do.

·
Registered
470 Posts
PB, congrats. About to do the same thing. I am going to try the Gates carbon belt on AMD's recommendation. What do you intend to do for belt break in?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lawdog: I am just going to take it easy on the fire roads and trails I ride for the first couple of hours. I do not ride real hard anyway so it will not be to much out of the norm for me. Don't plan on towing anything with it until it has 10 hours or so on the belt.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
PB, congrats. About to do the same thing. I am going to try the Gates carbon belt on AMD's recommendation. What do you intend to do for belt break in?
Everyone will have their own unique way, but I wash my belt and let it dry thoroughly before installing. Once installed, I did what I recommended in the other thread to get it to conform and stop the creep before I even put it under the load of the bike driving on pavement. Then the rest of it is sorta mirroring this write up Can Am maverick Polaris RZR XP 900, Polaris Ranger 800 - Gate C12 Belt Break In

Again, everyone has their own takes on it, but I really hope you enjoy the belt as much as I have so far! Just remember, PITA to install. Found that using a phillips head in between the inner cogs will help coax them over the lip of the secondary if need be.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good info amdforever! I will try and follow the 30 mile rules. I did not clean the clutch surface before I installed the belt but they look very clean and showed no signs of wear. The belt I took off looked very good so I am keeping it as a spare. The only reason I changed it was because I had it apart and figured I might as well as long as I was in there.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks guys. With any luck this will go smoothly.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Secondary clutch compression tool

Guys, this is what I made to do mine. I stole the design from the RZR forums and I think there is something similar to it here. The spring in my 2010 850 was plenty stout, so I wanted my tool to be able to handle it. Remember this tool needs to leave room to get to the snap ring and move it, which is why I like the use of the long bolts.

Parts list:
- 1 24" long 1/2" allthread rod
- 10 inch long 3/4" pipe (this slides over the rod and takes up space so you're not trying to turn a nut all the way down the rod)
- 4 1/2" nuts
- 2 1/2" washers--make sure they're sturdy
- 2 1/4 5.5" threaded bolts (necessary to go through the tubing and anchor on both sides)
- 4 nuts and washers for these
- 1" x 1" square tubing, about 9" long (I had this laying around and I like it because it gives good gives good grab space). A sturdy flat piece of steel would work too.

Drill three holes in the tubing (or flat piece of steel if you go that route). One in the center, .5" diameter for the rod to go through. Then, put one .25" hole on each side of the center, about 1.25" out, for a distance between the two outside holes of about 2.5"--if you get much further apart, you'll risk sliding off the rounded edge of the cup you'll be compressing.

Special tip: snug two nuts tight together at the top: this gives you an anchor point to keep the rod from turning as you tighten the nut down and compress. This tip from my smart friend.

Total about $12 in hardware. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Nice work Lawdog! This is only needed for the 09-10 models as they eliminated the inner spring retainer in 11 and the helix holds the spring in with 4 bolts then.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks! On the 2011-newer, I think this type of tool would help at least on the reassembly to help compress it back together.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
It would for sure, but all you need for them is the rod and nuts and washers as the bolts are about 4" apart, and no snap ring to deal with. Much simpler on the newer ones.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ah, of course. Maybe I was still smarting from the fight I had with my snap ring and I missed the obvious here.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Got the QSC clutch kit installed in my 2009 850XP and love it! It took away all the jerkiness when taking off in forward and reverse. I did not have time to ride it a lot and check out the difference in acceleration beside I installed a new belt and need to break it in first. I did notice a little creep at first but that went away after a little riding. It is kind of hard to shift right now I hope that goes away to as the belt wears in some. I want to thank Ridinagain for great customer service I highly recommend buying through him.:veryhappy:
I installed my clutch kit today and mine is a pain to shift sometimes its easy to shift but majority of the time its hard to shift especially if its in low and doesn't want to come out of low but ya the kit makes a huge difference

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
I installed my clutch kit today and mine is a pain to shift sometimes its easy to shift but majority of the time its hard to shift especially if its in low and doesn't want to come out of low but ya the kit makes a huge difference
That seems strange because a clutch kit has no effect on how the bike shifts in & out of gears.
Is your bike idling higher than it should? That can have a big impact on how the bike shifts.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts