Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short....

Went riding today tried to cross a river and pretty much the quad started to float down the river until it stopped.

It was up to the seat with water and it stalled out. My buddy tried to pull me out but he had to come into the river and couldn't get very good traction LUCKLY the quad started back up and with one good tug from him he was able to pull it out

Drained the water from the belt housing and kept on riding!!!

Very impressed the motor didn't lock up from taking in water

Here's our machines together

Attachments

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Lucky Duck! Do they measure the cfm on that waterway?

:banana:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Lucky for your wheeler and yourself not getting hurt.:veryhappy:

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Lucky.....have you checked it over good? Mainly all fluid levels, to make sure no water got into the oils & lubes?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will be changing the oil in the motor just to be safe, I checked it afterwards and it does not seem like water got into it.

I will pump new grease into the A-Arms and any other points that accept grease to prevent any issues there as well

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Maybe food for thought to keep in the back of your mind for safety, can always hit the kill switch as you're jumping off it. That'll increase its chance of survival from hydro locking during its float downstream.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My sp800 stalled when we where trying to get it up on the ice (meanwhile, the atv was floating), but when we tried to lift the front wheels up the enginge took in water from the intake snorkle and died on me :(
Like one hour later it was up on solid ground and "all" we did was: Took the drain plug out from both airbox and belt house. 100% filled with water... And took the spark plugs out and cranked the start button (fron the left cylinder the water came pouring out when releasing the plug.
After that we checked oil and started it up. There was a tiny bit moist on the dip stick but the oil level was correct :) The enginge drained the moist out by itself when it got warm.

My noisy SP800 is a good machine :)

Ps. It was at least 1,5 meters deep so the atv was floating.

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
I will be changing the oil in the motor just to be safe, I checked it afterwards and it does not seem like water got into it.

I will pump new grease into the A-Arms and any other points that accept grease to prevent any issues there as well
Check your diff and rear gear case too. They're not 100% watertight, and they have a breather tube. If you were up to the seat, the breather tube was underwater, and you may have gotten some in there.

If a machine drowns and didn't break anything from hydro lock in the cylinder, and you clean it out right away, it's usually OK.
Some guys have pulled their machines out of the water, towed them to the trailer, and left them in the garage for a couple of days before starting work on them. Those guys pay for engine rebuilds. :blackeye:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.