Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quad will not start. It turns over but wont start. And my battery dies all the time any one no why its a brand new battery. When it did run it ran for about 2 mins and was backfiring and then shut off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How long have you had this quad?
BATTERY ISSUE:
-Some quads don't have an alternator/generator to recharge the battery. These are typically those that are cheaper or built to be light and stored often where they can be charged. If yours does have one, then it could be bad. If you have a MULTI-METER, check the volts on the battery when it's running (when that finally happens) and if it's 14 or higher, it's outputting a charge. If it's 12 or 11 or less, you don't have an alternator or it's bad. Solution: Determine if you have one then replace it. (It's possible that if you remove it, your parts store could check to see if it's bad).

RUNNABILITY:
Check the engine on/off switch on your left handlebar control. Is it "on"?
Do you have spark? Remove the plug, then, with the electrical lead attached still, and holding the plug body (the metal part for the wrench is best) tight against the engine block, try and "start" the quad (obviously not expecting it to start) Please be careful not to physically touch the metal on the plug while you do this or you could get shocked! Did you see a tiny blue spark ticking on the plug? If so, you have spark, hooray! If not, replace the spark because it MIGHT be bad and they are cheap and good to have a spare anyway. Report if you didn't get spark if you even had to go this far.

If you have spark and it turns over, but won't start, then we are looking at the carb next.
Does the quad sit for long periods of time without all the fuel being drained? Has it been a long time since the carb was rebuilt or had soaked the carb parts in a can overnight? If this is you, I wouldn't even think about trying to adjust it until I rebuilt it. Most kits are only about $25 and this would help you out tremendously, and this is coming from a guy who learned this the hard way. Even if you don't get a kit, clean it out OCD well. Jets especially. Don't bend the pins or arms of the float, despite what some people tell you, unless they already are bent. I can tell you how to fix it if you get there.

If your carb is shiny on the inside and all of the jets are perfectly clear and see-thru, and you've changed your $3 fuel filter, then you've got some adjusting to do.

Backfiring can occur in engines that are running lean where the air-fuel mixture has insufficient fuel.

If you've checked/done all of the above things, then let us know what you've got.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts