Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been on here in a while but I got a couple problems....

I always run the premium gas in my quad cause there was always issues when I don't. So this sunday (in a jam) I put cheap gas in it and started it up. It ran, but it cut off whenever it went to idle speed. After driving it for 15 minutes, I parked it. Next day I went to start it and it wouldn't start.

So Today(2 days from putting bad gas in) I siphoned out all the bad gas and put premium gas in and tried to start it, but nothing. I guess with all the cranking, I burned out the starter too it started to whine and then just cut off. Now the engine will not spin over and I am not sure what to do.

The ETC module on the handle twists easily and I have to usually play with that for it to start.

Dang I wish they had diesels in these.

BTW: polaris 2002 600 twin

Thanks!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Changed the starter and the spark plugs. When I turned the key I got nothing, so I am thinking the problem is the starter selonoid because I am getting 12V to the selonoid and the batteries cables are good and the connections tight. Anyone know where to get one?

Also, how can I tune or 'set' the electronic throttle cable???

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Before you order a solenoid. Check if
Your getting 12
Volts at starter itself. And solenoids are 15-20 bucks on ebay. Also
Heard of some solenoids for tractors and possibly fords that'll work too but you'll have to search in the forums on here to get the part
Number

·
Registered
67 Posts
on the etc switch, do what i did. open up the top of your thumb throttle assembly, you will see the 2 metal leads for the etc. if they touch, the atv will have no fire. i just put something between the leads so they would not touch. no problems out of it anymore for mee

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you take a screwdriver to the main leads on the solenoid and touch them together (to make the starter spin) it would answer some questions.

If it turns over, you have a bad solenoid OR starter switch OR bad cable/connection from the switch to the solenoid.
-- (FYI, a continuity tester can test your starter switch. If you have a solenoid like mine that doesn't disconnect the smaller pair of wires that go to it, carefully jab the wires with the tester's leads and see if you have continuity when you press the start button, but no continuity when you don't press it. If you get nothing when you press it, the start switch and/or cabling is bad).

If it doesn't turn over with the screwdriver test, you have a bad starter OR connection somewhere between the solenoid and starter.

(Jumper cables from the + on the battery to the solenoid connection to the starter (bolted connections) also server as a better "screwdriver").

It wouldn't surprise me to see a bad solenoid since you cranked it for so long that day. You need to work on your carb adjustments after cleaning it thouroughly. Replace your fuel filter and flush your tank. This should help most of your problems, if not all.:shocked1:

·
Registered
4 Posts
How to find replacement parts.

BTW, I always find replacement parts my looking at This Website then searching ebay.com using the part number I got from Polaris' site. Do a description search if you want as well. Most decent venders tad their item with the part number.

Hope this helps!:str:

·
Registered
67 Posts
if you are trying to adjust the idle, there is a big screw on the bottom of the carb that can be turned by hand. loosen for lower rpms. tighten for higher. set wherever you like :marchmellow:

·
Registered
67 Posts
i cant think of any way to adjust that. it should be pre adjusted to give you no problems. i dont see why you would want to adjust. what problem are you having with it?

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
4 inches up on cable from thumb throttle, there is a rubber boot that pulls down and you can adjust slack, should be 1/8 inch of slack at thumb throttle

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
yes pull the sleeve back, there is an adjustment under it set so there is 1/8 inch slack in throttle at thumb throttle

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am not understanding what you guys are trying to tell me. I usually have to turn the adjuster sleeve on the throttle cable to get the quad started. I played around with it alot when I was trying to start it, how do I know how much up or down the adjuster sleeve should be on the cable?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Never mind, I just got it started, it runs lika a dream and turns over much better with the new starter and fires better with the new spark plugs, thanks again!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts