Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 sportsman 700 twin(which is my 1st Polaris) and when I go to take off it kinda hesitates and a clunk sound then it pulls. seems to me that it sounds like a universal joint. I have checked all them and there is alittle play but not of excess like I thought. is there anyone else that is having that prob or know what it could possibly be.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Have you ever pulled off the cover and looked at condition of belt?

How many miles? Typical riding?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
belt looks good but don't know if its original one or not. I just mainly trail ride and its got 1504 miles on it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
That clunk is normal for the twins. My 600 also did it when take off. Just be more gently on the throttle when taking off so it doesnt clunk.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
It will clunk a little, especially going from Fwd to Rev or the other way around. Lots of little bits of driveline slack to take up. Once you go fwd and stop then start again, does it still do it? Not as bad?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
It probably is normal.. I guess I never really think about the normal clunks I get on my 700. In the day I thought it was a problem as well but here I am 9 years later not thinking about it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My 600 would also clunk when driving over " wave" liked hills in slow speeds.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
My 800 did that even when it was new. Mine was the rear prop shaft. Just make sure that it doesn't have excessive wear or play in it and you will be fine.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
the U-joint

1 - 13 of 13 Posts