Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can give me some insight about. Sunday, my wife shot out across a field that was full of pot holes created by rooting hogs. The field was grown up so she didn't realize how bad of shape it was in until it was too late. After hitting several holes and jarring my 2006 Sportsman 700 twin into the air, a huge puff of whitish blue smoke engulfed the machine and it cut off. I ran out to inspect it, and found what appeared to be a little oil splatter up under in front of the seat where the muffler connects to the engine. I checked the oil, and it appeared good. I started the engine again for about 5 seconds and it sounded fine, but smoke was still billowing out of the tail pipe, and from the area where the oil appeared to be splattering from. Does anyone have an idea of what may have happened? I'm going to take it to the Polaris dealer this weekend, but any prior info I can get may prove valuable to me. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Not sure how it could happen but it sounds like some oil got dumped out through the exhaust valve. I have done this with a lawn mower on very steep banks.

Did she lean to one side and land hard on two wheels or something?

I expect it will smoke until it burns off the oil that got out of the crankcase somehow. It does not take much oil to make that kind of smoke.

Welcome and update us please.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts