Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my first oil change on my 2013 sportsman 500 and after trying to get the crank case nut back on for an hour my hands were so cold I couldn't feel them so I figured I would try again the next day. The next day I finally got the nut on but I realized I left it over night so maybe the hose drained. So my question is even though I didn't take the screen part off I left it over night so I don't know if maybe it drained for being open all night and if I need to prime it anyways. I don't know a lot about oil changes on polaris atvs so any help would be greatly appreciated?

Also is there a trick to knowing if it is not primed or something to tell if oil is not getting to the engine? Would the engine light come on?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I you did not disconnect the oil hose with screen you should not have to re prime it. this is how you do it if you want to know. Your temp warning should come on if you are not getting oil thru the system.
Screen Shot 2013-11-24 at 7.40.23 PM.jpg

·
Registered
434 Posts
the way i change my oil is drain the oil res. take off oil filter and just crank the motor over a couple times with the key but without starting it it will pump the oil in the crank into the res. and drain out there alot easier then removing the lines and that hard to get crank nut ...i leanred it from someone who used to do it on sump style oil systems on motor cycles back in the day and ive done it on every service on my 500efi 8000km without a problem hope it helps oh and if it starts while your doing it no biggie just shut it off immidiately

1 - 5 of 5 Posts