Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to purchase a waterproof motorcycle stereo for my sportsman and it has 3 power wires, a yellow that goes to the ignition switch, a red for battery positive and black for battery negative, but I don't want to wire it to the ignition I want to wire it to the 12v plug so how would I do this?
Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
193 Posts
yellow to positive accessory. (If you don't wire the other wires to the battery you will likely lose any memory function of the radio and time on the clock.)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK so just splice the 2 positives together, it won't burn up the unit?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Depends on the maximum draw of the stereo and anything else you put on that circuit. Most Polaris accessory circuits I have seen are 20A circuits (check your fuse box). Therefore, at 75% safe load, it will probably support a load of about 180 watts (total combined usage of 15A). If you load it to or near 20A, you're going to blow the fuse. Just like there are usually more than 1 positive wire to your battery, combining two positives won't hurt anything.

I don't suspect a little motorcycle radio is bigger than 180w but I don't know. It should be in your docs. "Posi-Taps" are a nice clean way to make a tap. I would think your radio is also fuse protected? If sometime later you want to add another big load (like hand warmers or big LEDs) you may need to rethink it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's just my personal opinion, but a radio that's shipped to you for 28 bucks is unlikely to have all that great reception sensitivity. I personally wouldn't consider anything on a quad that didn't have headphone capability. I don't know where you ride that gets great fm reception? Can't imagine a noisy quad with a staticy radio blaring.

I'd just get an ipod with earphones. But that's just me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It got a sd card slot and aux input too, and this is the same system that shark motorcycle audio sells for 100 bucks

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Just buy a cheap iPod. Load the music YOU want and use ear plugs under your helmet. They are either rechargeable or take small batteries. No need for bike power.

WHEN IT breaks gets lost or splashed with water buy a new one!

If your dead set the two power wires are separate for a reason. One is SWITCHED (red) one is power all the time (Yellow).

CW

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty sure the ignition power wire is so the lcd on the stereo shows the clock when the bike is running

·
Registered
153 Posts
I bought the shark version so we could listen to some music while ice fishing. I installed it on our Ranger and to be honest it does not work very well. poor sound, cheap connections (cuts in and out while riding), drains the battery for some reason even when its turned off. I ended up purchasing an amplified speaker tube from visions electronics you plug into the lighter socket and plug your ipod in. The sound is great.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can join both constant power wire ( yellow) and ignition wire (Red) together to one power source. Only thing is that your yellow wire is supposed to be used to a constant 12v source to retain all settings and or clock displays. If both wires are joined to a ignition source once the ignition source is turned off all settings and clock will reset to default. when ignition source is once again turned on you will noticed your clock and settings will not have saved to your preferences.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm just going to wire it into the back of the 12v accessory socket I think, since it's only low power

1 - 12 of 12 Posts